Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what kind of Epiphone is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g00eY, Oct 23, 2005.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    well this is the bass i'm using right now. it doesn't belong to me, but a guy that used to go to my church just keeps lending this bass out(good guy :) ) so i've got it for now. all i know is it's an Epiphone with EMG pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here are the things wrong with the bass:
    deep scratches on the top EMG -
    [​IMG]

and cracks on both sides of the neck where it connects to the body -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyone know what model this is? or what to do with the cracks around the neck?

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    lol... sorry the pics are huge :rolleyes: , i'll try to resize them next time :) .

3. Can you make the pic's a little bigger? I am have trouble making out some of the finer detail. :rolleyes:

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    That's an Epiphone Accu Bass Junior, I believe, I think they were made in the mid to late 90s. The P/J version (called Power bass) was my first bass, it was pretty much a copy of the Jazz Bass Special (Think of Duff McKagan), except with passive electronics. It sounded okay but the overall quality was only so-so with a plywood body.
    If it's really an Accu Bass Jr., the EMG pickup isn't stock.

5. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    :eek: Biggest...pictures...ever!

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    yea, sorry again about the pics. my bad.

anyways, i don't think the pickups are stock, cuz i remember someone told me he replaced the pickups. the problem mainly with this is that the electronics don't work. one knob is just a bunch of static/buzzing and one knob barely does anything.

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    That's exactly like the bass I defretted. Same color and everything (stock pickups, though... no emg's). Mine has small cracks in the finish near the neck pocket, but they're not as big as yours. Some amount of cracking there is unavoidable. Anyway, with a little TLC, mine turned out to be a real player (plywood body and all!). You should probably replace both pots and the wiring. If you're not comfortable doing it, take it to a tech... it's not a hard job, though. I shielded mine with coppper tape, which helped a lot with noise.

On a side note, mine has the BEST tuners ever. I don't know if I got lucky or what, but there's no play in the gears, no slipping over time, and they have a smooth, easy feel. I've tried many a tuner in my day, and as crazy as it sounds, these are the best I've ever come across. Also, how 'bout that bridge? I just love the big brass saddles. Call me crazy, but I'm thinking about routing for a MM pickup (which I already have) and possibly experimenting with some piezos, too. Anyway, I've gotten a lot out of this bass... best $50 I ever spent.

Here's a link to my thread on defretting: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191897&highlight=hardware+store

Oh, and... smaller pictures next time ;) 800x600 seems to work fine.

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    haha... i did all this editing to get them to an internet-upload size, but forgot to check out the size of the pics.

your bass looks great! much better than mine. mine needs some cleaning up, and i have no idea what to do with those cracks. it's such a tragedy cuz i really actually like this bass a lot, aside from the things that are all wrong with it. like i said earlier, this bass isn't mine and i also plan on getting a new one soon, so it will be off my hands in a little while. i'm definately gonna miss this bass. i've spent about a year with it now, so not too long, but it will still be sad when it's taken out of my hands and passed along to the next little one who wants to learn bass.

9. zeke917

zeke917

Mar 18, 2010
    I have one of these. Yes it is an Epiphone Accu-bass from the early nineties. The S/N was on a sticker below the tuning machines on the back of the headstock. awhile back I turned it into a bit of a project bass and replaced the mediocre stock pups with Seymour Duncan quarter-pounders and a Badass 2 bridge. I also had a custom white pearloid pickguard made. Last night I dropped it off to get a custom bone nut made and installedas this is going to become my piccolo bass. Although this has never been my #1 axe, I could never part with it it just feels so good to play and has that late 80's vibe to it. The name, BTW, is a poke at Fender - Accu (Accurate) vs.Precision.