1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What makes a GOF?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SoulReflection, Aug 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I am an old bass player and recently, I was recalling what has made me a GOF. One incident comes to mind...

A few years back, I was upgrading the sound system in a new vehicle. I wanted a subwoofer and ordered one from a local shop. I went to the Service Counter and a young man presented one from inventory and, while ringing up the sale he asked "Is this sub for you?". Surprised, I answered "Yes, but why do you ask?". He responded, "Well, we usually sell these to younger people".

I smiled and made a note to check the mirror when I got home and never to go back there again.

Anyone else?

The Owl, PsyDocHill, Gaolee and 7 others like this.
  2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Time has made me an OF. Experience has added the G. I've never been one to suffer fools gladly and I just have less patience for <stuff>* than I used to. Bear in mind that patience for <stuff>* was never my strong suit, anyway.

These days I keep my real friends close and I kick <other personality types>* to the curb in short order. Saves a lot of angst that way.

*<insert expletive of your choice> .

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You know you’re getting old when store clerks stop referring to my wife as miss and call her mam. That slight is enough to make anyone grumpy.

I was in an Apple store this week. They have two levels. I was about to go down the stairs when a guard came running up to me and asked if I needed to use the elevator. I told him that I was fine. Perhaps a little too loudly.

4. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Yes, in the process of getting older, one gains the experience to make the best of the time you have ;).

Haroldo, GonePlaid and LBS-bass like this.
  5. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I was pretty much born a GF - just took some time to be able to claim the O. Been a GOF in training all my life. I just don't understand how it's possible not to be - don't you other people see all the nonsense?.

At least now I can get discounts for it at some places..... :cool:

6. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Funny stories beans...just for fun, recently I have introduced my wife as, "oh and this is my Mother...". My wife is used to my (sick) humor and realizes I am getting mine back before a fun conversation starts. :roflmao:.

GonePlaid and beans-on-toast like this.
  7. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    In the last few years, young people have taken to calling me "Sir". I am not a freaking Knight!

8. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Good points...I love the discounts and the offers to help. Just the other day, my wife and I were at the supermarket and the check out clerk asked if we need help to the car. For fun, I said, "No thank you, that's why I brought my mother".

Alik, Helix and alaskaleftybass like this.
  9. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I know what that feels like, I've been grey since age 25. That's when people older that me started calling me "Sir".

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I had white hair in my beard around my chin at 35. GOF in training.

GOFville came about when I started getting discounts just for being old.

Also, when my hair went from black to white, it was like the Red Sea parted.
    People saw me as an old white guy instead of mistaking me for someone else.
    Finally, they left me alone. Sad state of affairs.:thumbsdown:

That's why I'll never dye my hair.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Helix, chadface, mikewalker and 4 others like this.
  11. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I tell 'em No "sir". I was enlisted.(blank stares)

PsyDocHill, macmanlou, Ronzo and 6 others like this.
  12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep, there was that open mic just a few days ago where someone asked if I wanted to swap spots, because otherwise I'd be following a bluegrass act. I told him I'd be doing a metal set and to piss off.

GregC, Nevada Pete, Gaolee and 17 others like this.
  13. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    And, the Grump of the Day Award goes to..........YOU! :roflmao:.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Well, I did walk the walk, mostly. Not quite full blown metal, but definitely not "nice music." :bassist:

GregC, DrMole, bolophonic and 6 others like this.
  15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    There's a reason one of my YouTube channels is called "Granny's Got Chops." When I first started getting back out there to play, I'd show up at these auditions to be met with quizzical looks, at best. Not quite eye-rolling, but that resigned look in the eyes that says, "ok, this is going to suck." It's amusing, setting up my gear and watching everyone fall all over themselves to be polite to the little old lady they're going to have to dismiss later on.

It was always fun watching the scales fall away from their eyes and seeing the smiles develop once we got started :)

16. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    You're a lot kinder than I. I would have shoved the sub back at him asking for a refund, then given him (politely) a piece of my mind. Later I would have called to speak to his manager and ask if it's his policy to treat all seniors like dirt.

Although rarely discussed discrimination against seniors is universal. In any other culture than the Western, elders are held in high esteem and it's considered an honor to take care of one's parents in their twilight years. Elders are thought of as wise, and their advice is highly sought. Grandchildren are taught to exalt their grandparents.

But, hey, we live in the greatest country on earth so I'll take my knocks as I get 'em knowing I did my part to make this country a better place, as much of our generation did.... :)

17. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    :laugh: Actually we have a supermarket here where the box boys offer everyone help out. After a long day I gratefully accept. Let the young 'uns do it!

18. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Well, my take from that experience was a little different. I took it as a possible compliment for being able to rock on at "my age" ;). I would not expect that anything I could have said to the late teen would have any effect on the lack of respect and social graces that should have been instilled in him by his parents and teachers. Hopefully, he acquired these skills as he matured.

19. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    A few months ago I was driving through Taco Bell. Placed the order, confirmed it and the price on the order screen and drove to the window. The teen age kid looked at me and asked for less money than was on the screen. I pointed that out to him and he said when he sees elderly customers he gives them a discount. 68 is elderly? :rollno: Ok. I guess I was an OF to him. :p I simply said thanks and didn't complain about the discount. :D

20. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Im 52 and play in a Hardcore band

At our show last Friday, the guy at the door thought he'd let me know that Punk bands were playing that night

I told him, "yeah I know, I play in one of those bands"...….he looked a little surprised and didn't ask for the $5.00 cover :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    kesslari, Gaolee, Engle and 18 others like this.