What Matters Most?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IdealWay, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Sound/Tone

97 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Look

6 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Feel

67 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    What's most important to you in a bass: The way it looks, the way it sounds, or the way it feels? I'm mainly concerned with higher-end basses, but this question applies to any bass. For me the sound is always at the top of the list, although the other two naturally have an influence on my decision to buy or not buy a certain bass. What about you?

2. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    I bought a bongo partially for it's unique appearance but I love the sound of MM.

3. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    I prefer the sound/tone of a P bass but like how others look.

4. As long as it sounds and feels good,I dont much care about looks,color.For all I care,it could have lumps of steaming doo on it.BUT,if Im buying custom,it WILL look good too.

5. Sound. Bada boom.

A bass can look good and play good...and I've certainly been lured over the years...but ultimately it's about sound.

6. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Tough question for me because I consider tone and feel to be more or less equally important.

I won't own a bass that doesn't sound fantastic. Nor would I own a bass that doesn't fit my body properly (good ergonomics) or doesn't allow me to set the action the way I like it (playability). For me, a bass is essentially a tool. And if it doesn't sound good and play well, then it's not doing its job.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Luckily, there are so many good basses now that you don't have to choose between sound, looks, and feel. You can get all three.

8. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Hmmm... Sound and feel are a close match for me, both are uber-important. I would say feel can take precedence of sound for me in most cases, but not by much.

9. PapaJustice

PapaJustice

Dec 28, 2007
    Boston
    Feel, at least for me. If I'm playing a gig for a couple hours I want a good sound of course but I don't want to pay for that sound with a drop in comfort. That is why when I try out a bass at a store, I always start with it unplugged for a little while-- that way I can focus completely on the ergonomics and not be distracted by what could be sweet tone but mediocre feel. Also, it is a lot easier to improve the sound of a good-feeling bass than improve the feel of a good-sounding bass. Just my $.02.

10. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier and Instrument Tech at Kala Brand Music Co.
    The sound is always what's most important to me. My next consideration would be how it feels.
    If those two criteria are covered, I could care less how it looks.

11. feel.

pickups can be changed.. preamps can be added...
    if the neck plays like garbage, you will still sound bad.

12. sound is the most important thing... Jaco didn't mind having a "crappy" looking Fender (don't get me wrong I mean that in the best of ways) but tone is most important because.....
    WHO doesn't want (at some point) to be able to have that growly jaco tone?

Looks don't matter but the sound/tone defines you as a bassist.

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Has to be really heavy and have lots of neck dive, Mahogany content, oh & sound really muddy

14. jamesie

jamesie

Jan 11, 2009
    feel and sound - no feeling without sound and no sound without feeling :)

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Feel.

I can usually get a workable sound out of most any bass.

Looks is pretty far down the list.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've got to have all 3 to be completely satisfied with a bass guitar. And, luckily, anyone can find a bass that delivers the whole package.

17. +1 Bigtime ... must have ALL ;)

18. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Feel - the rest is what modding is all about!

19. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Sound always trumps everything else. It's a musical instrument, hence its function is to create good sound. Without that it doesn't matter how comfortable it feels, or how it looks. It's gotta feel good, but it's a lot easier to adapt to a neck that's wider or more narrow than I prefer than it is to try to adapt my ears to something.

Looks are so far down the list as to be meaningless.

jte

20. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Where's the all three selection?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021