1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What mic/pickup does eveyone suggest?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by addylewis, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Recently acquired a double bass, I have thought about a pickup but decided a decent mic would probably work out cheaper...correct me if I'm wrong...

Any suggestions on a nice mic or decent but cheap pickup?

(also any diagrams on how to mic it up would be cool...)

Cheers dudes! :D

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    That's a pretty big question. If you haven't already, you might could start here first.

I use a Rev Solo II pickup, and sometimes a Planet Wing. I use a Beyer M 88 TG mic, and sometimes an AMT.

If you just started playing double bass, I'd recommend trying to find a teacher. It all starts with your acoustic (unplugged) tone. Part of that involves settling on strings that make you and your bass happy. DB strings cost a lot more than EB strings. I'd also suggest finding a good luthier to make sure your bass is playing and sounding its best.

Then come back here and search a bit. Other popular pickups these days include the Fishman Full Circle, Gage Realist, K&K Bass Max, and the Underwood. I've probably left some out.

Using a mic can be challenging, even moreso if you run it into your amp because you don't have a PA. But the sound is worth it. For mic and mounting ideas, check this out. Or search this forum for titles of threads that include 'H-clamp'.

Welcome to our wonderful world. You're gonna dig it, but it does take some patience, determination and dedication. But when you hit that low F on DB and can make it growl, it's all worth it.