What model jazz bass is this ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by D REESE, Nov 12, 2020.

1. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    Hello everyone,
    I am speaking with a guy who is selling a jazz bass for $1100 it’s a 2017, but I’m not sure if this is an American standard or something else, I have the model number but can’t find any info
    Model number 1020001746

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think they stopped calling it the American Standard by 2017. I could be wrong. It looks like the American Standard/Professional to me.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  3. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    I appreciate this :) the guy is the second owner and said this was ordered on the fender mod shop for 2k

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    2017 would be a Professional, and it definitely looks like one. I recently learned that Mod Shop basses have a unique neck plate that says, wouldn’t you guess it, Mod Shop on it.

Is that writing on the pickups or just glare? They could be noiseless which, when all else is considered, makes me think it is a modified AmPro.

5. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    Nice, yes that would be my guess

Attached Files:

6. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    Is this a decent bass ? I would be using it only for recording.

7. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    Never thought fender would get back to me so quickly, it’s a mod shop no sub series like a professional,
    Here’s what he sent me.
    So now I know what it is, how does it sound lol does it have that fender jazz bass sound ?
    And is it worth $1100 ?

Attached Files:

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I would say yes.

Unless things have changed, ash is no longer being used by Fender which could make the instrument slightly more desirable or valuable down the road, and the noiseless pickups could be considered an upgrade over the stock US pups. The compound neck is a nice option too if you enjoying playing on what’s usually the dusty end of the neck for me ;) It’ll sound like a Jazz bass if that’s what you want lol.

D REESE likes this.
  9. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    Very nice, thank you.
    I think I’m gonna grab it :)
    I have a little more info on this
    Passive electronics (instead of active electronics)
    4th gen noiseless pickups
    Dot inlays (instead of block inlays
    Ships in Fender elite case.

Ricky Rioli and nbsipics like this.
  10. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    Or better yet I should be asking you guys lol
    I have $1100 to spend on a jazz bass, is there something else besides this jazz bass that is better ?

11. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    I can play bass pretty good but I am not a real bassist, I’m a singer songwriter who plays a lot of instruments.
    I’ve always loved the feel and sound of a jazz bass, rosewood i love, so with $1100 to spend on something modern, is there anything equal or better to a fender mod shop that has passive noiseless pickups for recording only ?

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    To me, I don’t think you can do much better for the price. I say buy it, throw some fresh strings on it, and play the snot out of it!

13. Lakland dj4 will be a much better instrument. Any lakland for that matter.
    Goodluck.

D REESE, dcbassist5 and Thegrandwazoo like this.
  14. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    I am not familiar with Lakeland, i have heard horror stories about Fenders quality control even in their mod shop section so naturally I'm a bit concerned, however i have to play the instrument, check the neck and intonation,adjust the truss rod and see whats what

15. Goodluck with whatever you choose.

D REESE likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm sure it's a fine instrument. And being a mod shop ash bass, it will hold its value. If you get it, and don't fall in love with it by next week, you'll be able to sell it for what you have in it. No risk. Go for it.

bobyoung53, MCF, lowdownthump and 7 others like this.
  17. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    I agree but would rather not have to go through the whole selling thing as I need a working bass now ya know.
    It comes down to playing and scoping it out I suppose :)

18. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    So it turns out as i do my homework, i will be the fourth owner of this bass. It makes it harder to know the basses history when changing so many hands.
    I found this bass here on talk bass from a guy in Florida who bought it from someone else, and it was sold and bought again here.

19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Hm. I’m not someone to turn my nose to an instrument that has been around the block, but four owners in four years is a little much.

Thegrandwazoo likes this.
  20. D REESE

D REESE

Feb 2, 2019
    Queens New York
    exactly my thoughts

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021