Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What order

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by marineman227, Feb 11, 2004.

1. not sure where to put this so mods feel free to move it. Just wondering for those of you in bands especially punk or any type of rock bands and obviously originals, what order do you create a new song in? One time i was in a band where we got together and wrote 3 songs worth of lyrics before we ever picked up an instrument, i was wondering if this is normal or if it goes the other way or maybe one part at a time like do chorus music, chorus lyrics etc. Just seeing how everyone here does it thanks.

2. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    Normally i jam with the guitarist for a while until we find a chord sequence or riff we like. The drummer joins in and makes up some beats, then we structure it with a chorus/bridge/verse and so on. The words come last. I dunno if theres a right way to do it but that's worked for us loads of times.
    Writing the lyrics first i'd be worried they wouldn't fit with our style of playing and end up not integrating properly.

3. Whatever works is fine.

Usually, with the bands I play/played with, we'd write the music first, then put lyrics to it.

If you write lyrics first, you may have to modify them a bit to fit into a song, but it's still a totally valid way to work.

4. I can write lyrics anytime, anywhere. I keep a notepad handy so I can capture those momentary bursts of creativity. If the band has a bit of music we like I may already have some words written. Sometimes having just a verse or a chorus can stimulate the whole process for the band. But, whatever works for you...there is no right or wrong here..we're talking about art.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Some bands do have a set "pattern" when it comes to writing songs, but it's very subjective. I've played with bands that have done it every possible different way.

IMO, if inspiration strikes in any form, use it! You never know when it will appear again!