1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what pedal would do this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by almix12, Sep 4, 2008.

1. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    I'm wondering if a pedal is out there that makes your bass sound like a tuba, or french horn, bassoon, or a whole horn section, heck, even a muted trumpet.
    You catch my drift anyway... I know boss makes one that makes it sound like an organ.. more or less... but yeah, horns...

2. ZOMG!

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    You want a midi pickup system and a decent sound module. Or a horn section - that will sound much better.

4. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    +1

5. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    that hadn't even crossed my mind... what're some good midi pickups?

6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I like the look of the Ghost piezo saddles + preamps, but that's a bit invasive, requires drilling/routing (but you can get them factory fitted on some basses - Godin's semi-acoustics optionally have them). Alternatively there's the Roland GK2B pickup which is removable.

You'd also want the Roland GI-20 interface, plus a sound module, which is basically a rack-mountable MIDI synth without the keyboard/controller attached. Which sound module depends on the sounds you want and your budget. Have a look around.

Bear in mind that when using a MIDI interface, your playing will have to be as clean and tidy as possible to avoid weird notes being generated - heavy-handed picking, muting, stray harmonics or other string noise can easily be misinterpreted by the interface.

7. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    thanks a lot for the info, i think rolands pickups will be a lot cheaper than those ghost ones you suggested. Which peice of the setup determines how good the tracking will be?

8. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    jaco growl! you can actually get a pretty good horn sound out of a fretless with the bridge pickup soloed. i knoiw thats not what u meant though

9. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    soooo as far as tracking goes...?

10. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    thats not an acual bass though... at all
    um bump?

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The pickup would be important, as would the MIDI interface. And your playing, your bass (keep off those dead spots) and your strings. Everything but the sound module would affect the tracking, and the sound module would determine (well, duh) how good it sounds.

I can't give you any recommendations because I've never used a MIDI pickup-equipped bass.

12. My thoughts exactly.