What pickup for me?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by *Munkeh*, Apr 20, 2005.

1. *Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Hi all,

What pickup would go best with a Aguilar OBP-3 preamp? I play heavy metal to jazz to funk music, I'd like the heavy growl (aka warwick growl) and warm bottom end in the pickups with a good sla tone (play with fingerstyle 90% of the time) Would DiMarzio Ultra Jazz set be any good? Or is there too much bottom end to it? How about the Hot stacks or Hot Jazz Seymour Duncan pickups? Brands i am looking to buy are DiMarzio, EMG's or Seymour Duncan.

Thanks all! :bassist:
  2. You might want to do a search in this forum since these pickups are discussed frequently. Also, you haven't provided any information about your bass.
  3. *Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I did run a search before i started this thread however did not find anything unfortunately :( Would be greatful if you can find some threads for me.

My bass is a jazz active bass with alder body, 3 band aguilar pre-amp with pao ferra (sp?) fretboard with maple neck.

4. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Go with the Villex Jazz set, using the passive Villex mid, and run it with the Aguilar OBP-1 two band.....
  5. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I put some barts on my jazz

Theyre really warm and smoothe.

I'd recommend them as an inexpensive passive upgrade
  6. *Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Thanks for the replies all

- DaveAceofBass

I never heard of Villex Jazz pickups before so i doubt i will get them

- Opivy3056

Barts don't really tickle my fancy, i know i am picky hehe but thanks for the recommendation!

Have done searches and read reviews on this board and harmony-central and i have come down to 4 pickups:

DiMarzio Ultrajazz
    DiMarzio Model J
    Seymour Duncan STK-J1 Classic Stack for Jazz Bass
    Seymour Duncan STK-J2 Hot Stack For Jazz Bass

Looking for a Warwick type sound, very growly with bottom end!

Which ones are better?

7. fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    From my own personal experience, the best pickups (and great value for money) , so far, are the Villex.

If you take the time to browse my gear (all gear bought through hard work, not through readily available money) i have heard few pickups and compared them directly on basses of mine. The before and after test (supported by recording the pickups of course) reveals major differences. The specific Warrior bass had the Bartolinis replaced with other Bartolinis, only to find otut hat it was not to the sonic standard of the rest of the herd. After major research i decided to place Villex on my Bass; if that did not make it i would sell the otherwise perfect bass. As soon as the Villex were placed on the Warrior nobody believed that a pair of PASSIVE pickups brought this 5string to life (i play anything from metal to ethnic to pop to prog to disco to rock'n roll and i hate to change instruments in the middle of the gig). The warrior will definetely not be sold. even though i kept the preamp i play the bass passive.

I have basses with EMG's, Bartolini's, Seymour Duncan's and Di Marzio's but i will definitely upgrade some basses to the Villex standard.

Don't trust anyone just your ears. That is what i have been doing (and found out about Villex)

all the best for your search
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I agree. I've got a Villex P and have just ordered the matching J from William. Based on some short term testing in my 'mule' bass with the P, I'm expecting great results.

I have another pair of Villexes (Villii?) I bought secondhand for a custom, that now looks like it won't ever be made. But I will use them eventually.

Nice collection of basses fullrangebass.
  9. fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Nice collection of basses fullrangebass.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Dharmabass. i took a long winding road to start realizing what is reality and physics on one hand and what is mojo and superstition (or even unjustified expectation) on the other, regarding the sound (tone ) of bass. I am still on this road but i feel that i can avoid repeating some mistakes i've made in the past. My first bass, Hamer Chaparal 5 (US) was great by chance (i bought it when i was still a guitar player). after 2years i had some money aside and went to visit Bass Center in London UK to buy a bass. I had sth in mind but took all the time of the world to decide. I went there early in the morning and left late in the evening. I played 60 (!!!) basses and put aside 10, then i narrowed my choice to 3 then i chose the one (Status Empathy 5). I let my ears be the jugde, not some preconception for a name i had in mind when i entered the place. That was in 1997. I went through many trial and error steps but the end result was always judged by my ears (physics and knowlegde of electronics help as well). And now i am here knowjust my mistakes and sharing my experience with more knowlegdable peers than myself.
    Keep on searching