1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What pros are using Bergantino cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowfreqgeek, Jul 27, 2012.

1. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works, Honey Badger Pickups, Westone Audio
    Just curious how many "names" are using Bergantino cabs? Lots of guys using other "boutique" cabs (Aguilar, Epifani, etc), and far more using the great-but-not-so-boutique stuff (GK, Genz, SWR, Hartke, Ampeg, etc).

All my cabs are currently Berg, but I've had the others and they all do their things very well. Seems like a lot more local and regional players using Bergantino cabs than well known name players.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Good post!

I love my Sadowsky SA410 (made by Berg) but I notice more pros using GK, Ampeg, Mesa and even Aguilar.

I honestly can't recall ever seeing a famous bassist rocking out in front of a big bank of Bergs.

3. sonic 7

sonic 7

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    Maybe he just doesn't do endorsement deals.

4. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    Good question!

Around here, the 'boutique' stuff is being played by some of the 'jazz-college-educated players'. And they'll use it on every gig too, whether it's jazz, funk or rock. They are often able to describe the sound they want very well, using Talkbass-language :))) like definition, clarity, punch, 250 Hz bump etc.. You'll see local handmade amps, pre's, cabinets or Epifani, Glockenklang, Prolude...
    Also, a lot of them play the more common brands like Markbass or GK.

In the pop/rock field, it's almost all Ampeg amps and Fender basses. Which, of course, is a classic combination, but... I wonder if they've tried Hiwatt, Orange, Marshall, Fender amps, or local hand built basses. I've noticed that these people often describe their equipment with greater emphasis on the brand or other aspects. "I play a huge AMPEG", "that amp looks great", "wall of sound" etc.

It probably has something to do with people having a fixed image in their head for a which brands are good; people who are not willing to put in a little extra effort and also try the brands which aren't available everywhere; people not being able to tell the difference; or endorsements.

5. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Flatbass mentioned Glockenklang. There's some You Tube videos of Micheal Manring doing a living room concert & using a Glock 4x10 along with a big rack of gear. Plus he also has, I believe, an Ampeg 4x10.

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Pro means you get paid to play. A narrow definition, I know, because the title reflects attitude and experience also.

Popular means, well popular.
    Despite their popularity these folks may not be professional in the broadest sense.:)

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    The OP would definitely have to define "pro" for the purposes of this discussion. Technically, pro means you get paid for your labor, period. However, many people break that down into percentage of overall income (most saying you must derive at least 51% from [music in this case] in order to be "pro"), and others say you need to have a certain level of popularity before you're a pro. So, define what you mean by pro, and we'll go from there.

8. I have to say; Comon' man !! Lots of pros use Berg's Myself included. (over 7500 gigs....do the math) Of course all pro's use back line rigs, myself included. I own and use a AE 212, a AE 1x12, a older vintage Berg....1x12 ....also Sunn, Schroeder, Aguilar, SWR, etc. etc. . all very good. His gear is top notch his service is supurlative.
    Really if you look at top line players they rarely if ever use thier own rigs......sheeesh. i'm surprised I gotta tell you kids this....... Man I love this workplace/school ...... late....

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Uh.....Uh......Uh

nobody, maybe that one guy.

10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    This.

11. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Kirk Bryant was right--nearly all the "names" use whatever backline amp is provided at the venue. I doubt that many backline providers use Bergs.

12. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ok, fine. For the purpose of this discussion, let's say a "pro" is someone who makes 100% of their income touring and recording nationally or internationally. Obviously those guys are using backline most of the time, but I want to know who personally uses Bergantino when they're not on the road. You can make your living playing in GB bands on a local or regional level, but for this discussion, you don't count so much. I'm talking national/international.

The list of Walter Wood's owners/players is pretty extensive and I doubt for a second that he does endorsement deals. Every one of those players bought their Woods, yet you don't see the majority of well-known WW users actually using their WW amps on stage. So why should Bergantino cabs be any different?

I'm not ignorant of how it works. I'm simply curious who's using Bergantino.

As I said, all my cabs are Berg. I've actively gigged with Epifani, SWR, Aguilar, Eden, and others. I have nothing against any of them.

13. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    In that case, I don't know of any. Of course, all that proves is that I don't know of any.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pros who tour using ground transportation usually bring their own rigs.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    :eyebrow:

Yeah, it could never be that people have actually tried other stuff and ultimately preferred Ampeg amps and Fender basses. Obviously we're all brainwashed by the images of popular players using it.

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I should start a thread "who gigs an SWR BBII".:)

I gigged with one three times a week for years and it got more use than my bigger rigs.

So only the audiences saw me and that's such a small sample of the US or World audience. So ultimately there would be no justification for buying one to gig. :)

The fact that I was gigging with a Guild Ashbory shrinks the sample.:)

So my fans, concert stages, clubs, art galleries, lofts, etc. think I'm a pro because I show up early, set up quickly, deliver the goods and get rehired.:)

(I played the Washington Monument but used the backline.:meh:)

17. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Who are some of the Walter Woods players? Not trying to be a smartass, I honestly don't know.

Perhaps the difference is that Woods has been around quite a long time and pioneered lightweight amps, so players bought them early and never switched.

18. Flatbass

Flatbass

Mar 13, 2004
    Yurop
    Of course, people could prefer those brands as well. But if everyone tried everything, I would expect that you'd see more other stuff. Is the SVT-CL that much superior to the Marshall VBA400, HiWatt Custom 200, Aguilar DB751, Orange AD200 etc.? I'm not so sure. That said, these are all great amps, including the SVT.
    Another thing that came to mind is that rental companies often have the SVT, and not the other stuff. The chances of a player being exposed to Ampeg stuff is a lot higher than, let's say a Bergantino.

That said, I really like Fender basses. They have a certain character that other basses don't seem to have. Although I did play a local hand made jazz bass that I really liked as well. If I didn't already have my Fender, I may have bought that one.
    I also played through a V4, vintage SVT and an SVT-II non pro, all of which were great. If I would be in the market for an all tube amp, would I buy one of those? Maybe, maybe not... let me try a HiWatt first... :)

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well they're all great amps for sure, and you may be right that some folks might prefer them if they tried them. But Ampeg being the most popular is no coincidence and not a result of people not being able to try out other brands IMHO.

20. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    From this page: "The following is a partial list of purchasers: Richard Bona, Peter Brown, Steve Brown, Hugh Burrows, Charlie Byrd, Wade Cambern, Dave Carpenter, Larry Carter, Aldo Cavalli, Jeff Chambers, Bob Chandler, Emmet Chapman, Candy Chase, Ken Ciuffreda, John Clark, Scott Colley, Robert Compean, Chick Corea, Glen Moore, Paul Morin, Chris Morrison, Jim Robitaille, Steve Rodby, Vinny Sansone, Saheb Sarbib, Billy Savege, Jane Scarpantoni, Glenn Schuetz, Lynn Seaton, Cleveland Eaton, Mark Egan, Herb Ellis, Tal Farlow, George Mraz, Joey Lauricella, Phil Forbes, Mike Formanek, David Friesen, James Genus, Michael George, Bruce Gertz, Lincoln Goines, Jim Hall, John Patitucci, Barney Kessel...and many more!"

EDIT: I just found a list of WW purchasers straight from a WW brochure. See attached.

Not all bassists, but many. In addition to that list, Jimmy Johnson, Will Lee, and Steve Swallow are all known to use them. Jimmy Johnson's personal rig is a WW and 2 EV 12s. Will Lee uses his for local gigs around NYC at least some of the time.

That was my thought, too. Give Jim Bergantino another 25-30 years and you'll see a similar list.

Attached Files:

• ww4.pdf
      File size:
      216.1 KB
      Views: