Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Rush stuff do I get next?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jul 6, 2005.

1. I own THe Spirit of Radio - Greatest Hits and Rush: Chronicles. What should I get next for the most amazing Geddy playing? I love their early sound, not a big fan of the overly poppy stuff, but I dig Red Barchetta, Tom Sawyer, etc.

2. In this order : Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Farwell to Kings, 2112, Hemispheres, Carress of Steel,Exit Stage left.

Go now, buy Rush, GO!!!!

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The only Rush albums that mean anything to me are RUSH, Caress of Steel, Fly by Night, 2112, All the World's a Stage, and a Farewell to Kings. I could handle Hemispheres, but I think they started losing their minds right around that point. I completely respect the fact that they followed their muses wherever those muses led them - but I can't stomach the music, the lyrics or anything in their later works. They all play great on all the albums, but it sounds so pretentious and cheezy to me.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hemispheres rocks. it's killer. Geddy has the most intense bass lines in Circumstances, and his wailling is just perfect.

5. Geddy, quit referring to yourself in 3rd person or I'll start calling you Dole. ;)

Oh yeah, anything past grace under pressure irritates the hell outta me.

6. For some killer Geddy, check out their new DVD, rush in rio. I just rented it through Netflix. It rocks BIG TIME!

It seems that a lot of people here don't like Rush's synth albums. There's a lot more to those guys than chops. They matured a lot and the song writing is exceptional. I still get goose bumps by listening to 'Time stand Still' and the Roll the bones album, rocks big time! Sure, Geddy's distorted bass is gone, but hey! he still plays great! My personal Rush favorite ever? Jacob's Ladder. Oddly enough it's because of the guitar solo and all around mood of the song.

7. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    I can safely say, I have never heard a Rush album/song that I didn't like, and I've heard a fair share of them.

I endorse Vapor Trails and Moving Pictures especially.

8. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    +1 Circumstances is my favorite Rush song so I say check out Hemispheres but other than that Moving Pictures is a good one. Also I would suggest Rush in Rio, their most recent live album, real good stuff there.

9. On the Song Farwell to Kings, Geddys playing is basically saying " You can dream buddy, you can dream" :D

10. If you guys are real Rush fans and you want to see a computer animated version of Neil Peart WAILING on YYZ (note for note, hit for hit), then check out this:

"I'm writing to let everybody know they can download the animated YYZ video now from my new website www.bobbysbrane.com

The site also features other creative works by yours truly. Additional items include more animations, mp3's of my old punk band, and pics of my drumset, Modern Drummer magazine's Drumkit of the Month a few years back.

Enjoy, and if you like the site please spread the word.

PS - Everything can be freely downloaded and shared."

AMAZING animation..........

JT

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Seek out the live albums. His studio work is great, but hearing him pull it off live (with the energy of a live show) is even better.

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    PRESTO - Is one of the most underrated albums in the catalog. The Pass has to be one of the most heart felt tunes also. Listen to that song and think about it.

13. im very impartial considering i like every album, but i think "power windows" is pretty deep, and from a musicians point is excellent as well

14. For some of the more recent stuff, you can't go past Counterparts IMHO. it was a true return to form for Rush after the disappointing Presto and Roll The Bones.

Don't worry though, even a disappointing Rush album is miles ahead of the mindless pap that most radio stations play.....

EDIT: I should clarify that a little. I thought that Presto had some excellent tunes on there (especially The Pass) but it was poorly produced. It didn't have that BIG Rush sound that I love so much - it sounded a bit weak IMO.

Roll The Bones was okay, but I think they have made much stronger material than that.