Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Koz, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Koz

Koz

Feb 22, 2005
    Hello
    I am new to the world of guitars and music in general. And I wanted to learn how to play. I am into Heavy Metal, so some people said I should learn to play bass, what do you guys recomend? Please recomend me some good-cheap equipment.
    Cheers
    Max

PS:How many strings does Steve Harris play?

2. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Hi Koz. I've always loved Metal too. The best way to start learning is to listen to your favorite CDs and try to figure out and copy the basslines. It doesn't matter if you can't copy them exactly, but it helps you to understand the neck of the bass and where the major root notes are. Get yourself an instructional DVD to help you start...it's very useful. Iron Maiden is great band to start with because they have such melodic and prominent basslines. Steve Harris plays a 4-string Fender Precision and has a very unique style.

As for good equipment to start with, you could always start by buying used gear. If you prefer new, the best starter bass around is the Ibanez GSR200...really neat sound and slim fretboard. A bargain at $200. I can also recommend the Crate BT100 combo amp which is $300 new. Eventually when you join a band you'll need to upgrade as a 100w probably won't be enough power, but it's certainly good enough to start with. That way you can learn to play with reasonably good equipment and figure out what kind of sound and bass you eventually want. Hang around here long enough and you'll soon learn what's good and what's not.

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    i agree, also look into sabbath as they are pretty easy bass lines in there...or older megadeth/metallica for that interesting rythms... or if you wanna go easy, go the beatles...i knwo whey are not metal, but paul mcartney can play....just use his style in meatl, it works.

4. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Slim fretboard? :confused: Are you INSANE? There is NOTHING slim about that fretboard... I think you're referring to the neck.

But either way, I agree, it is still a great deal. Mine came with an awesome factory setup.

5. Koz

Koz

Feb 22, 2005
    Thank you guys for the replies. I still cant figuer out what to do.
    I dont have the money to get an amp which costs me $300, since I dont know if I would not just quit after sometime...

Another thing, do you guys know any good(free) resources on the net for learning to play bass, and stuff.
    Thanks
    Max

6. Koz

Koz

Feb 22, 2005
    I got a cheap Fender Guitar, but I have absolutely no clue what I should do next. So I remembered that you [Rockgurl] had said I should get an Instructional DVD, so you mind recomending me one?
    Thanks
    Max

7. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Keep your hair on. :eyebrow: No I'm not insane. I meant neck...my bad. I still think the fretboard is slim compared to other basses I've played. It's just an opinion...everyone has one.

8. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    The only one I've bought is a Metallica one called Metallica 1988 - 1997. It's not bad and they slow down a lot of Jason's bass lines and explain them. You might like that one.