Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What should I do....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Landyachtz, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Lately I've been thinking about switching my amp setup, since I have to carry it around a lot. right now I have an Aguilar DB659, Carvin DCM1000 (both in a rack w/tuner and power cond.), and an Aguilar 212. It's really just getting too heavy for me to take with me all the time. So my debate is, should I:

1) Use the 659 with a smaller power amp and smaller cab (GS112).

or

2) Look into getting an ultra light rig (Markbass, epifani, Walkabout, Walter Woods,etc...)

or

3) Look into getting a pro combo (Eden Metro, SWR Super redhead)

Help me out here guys, I play all types of music, but mostly jazz right now. I have a Fender MIA deluxe Jazz 5 with Nordstrands (thinking about sending it to Sadowsky), and a Warwick Streamer LX 5 with Bartolini preamp and pickups.

2. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Anyone want to chime in?

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

To play jazz, a 1x12 is usually more than enough.
    A good quality, small combo should do the trick.
    Think iAmp, Phil Jones...
    A small head and cab can be even more practical to move around but you have to set it up every time.
    Anyway there's no sense in keeping the 659 if you don't need heavy power.

4. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Well, the 659 isn't whats so heavy, but I don't think I'll be able to find a lightweight poweramp, and then I have to get a smaller rack, but most likely at least a 4 space, so I guess it ends up big. I was thinking about an Eden WT550 and an aggie 1x12. i was also thinking about markbass, but they're almost impossible to find in the US. I'd like to hear some more opinions, so keep them coming.

5. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    BUMP,

Does ANYONE know where I can get a markbass, from what I've searched for on here, they aren't availabe in the U.S.................

6. For Markbass, all fingers point to Clubbass, Canada. I'm not familiar with shipping stuff from Canada to the US...

7. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Last I heard they stopped shipping to the US because "Local demand exceeded supply." or something like that. I've been looking at the Mesa Walkabouts, with GS112's, I could have up to 3 cabs, and have total versatility for most situations, since I've heard of many people running these at 2.667 ohms. I just need to be pushed over the edge here, I really hate to sell my db659, because I love this preamp, but with a poweramp it's not that portable....... :(