1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What should my first bass be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pippy, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Pippy

Pippy

Jul 9, 2020
    Hi guys! Please help me find my first guitar bass! I was motivated to invest in one from my past history of orchestra and recent obsession with rock, metal, alt, jazz... (all genres where a bass is KEY).

2. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Hi, welcome.

Well, the obvious answer is a Precision type bass.
    Typical bass sound and it's used on all genres successfully.

You could try a short scale bass, if you think the usual 34" scale is too big.

And finally, buy something that you like, visually speaking. It's more important than you might think at first.

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    There are lots of choices! The good news is that these days there are great choices at every price point. A general idea of what you want to spend would be helpful. You can't go wrong with a Fender Precision or Fender Jazz bass both are used in all genres of rock and metal.
    Do you have any bassists whose sound and style you admire? That is alway a good place to start. Good luck with your search!

4. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I see you just joined TB yesterday. Welcome to Talk Bass!
    Give us some ideas of what genres you like and what basses you might be interested in and who your bass playing heroes are. Solid Body, Hollow Body, Semi-hollow Body, Chambered, 4 string, 5 string, 6 string, double course and triple course, Acoustic Bass Guitars, Fretless, Fanned Frets, short scale, medium scale, long scale.... There's a bunch to consider. :)

leftybass54, Tari, Mr Cheese and 2 others like this.
  5. Pippy

Pippy

Jul 9, 2020
    I knew the Fender jazz or precision would be the answer haha! I researched a lot and was able to test out a S.U.B stingray which I grew fond of, but, It seems a fender precision or jazz bass is a very safe way to go!

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    paid $250 for this used but minty Epi Thunderbird IV, hard to beat such boom for the bux
    upload_2020-7-10_12-24-45.png

Pilgrim, equill, Michigander and 9 others like this.
  7. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Hi! Welcome to TB. I can't really recommend a bass, other than get something that makes you want to pick it up, and don't get locked into labels.

How I see your future:
    upload_2020-4-17_4-21-34.png
    (dunno the artist/source to credit)

8. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    That is a good choice, also.

The reason almost all of us say Precision of Jazz is because they have standard tones and are used for decades with success.

It doesn't need to be a Fender. Almost all brands have J or P basses.

Check out JuliaPlaysGroove on a SUB, if you don't already know her. She's an awesome player.

9. Pippy

Pippy

Jul 9, 2020
    Solid body, 4 string, medium or long scale, 2 pick ups, i liked a maple neck... some brands I have been looking at are ibanez btb, ibanez sr, yamaha rbx, fender precision or jazz, epiphone ebo... there are so many to choose from!

10. Pippy

Pippy

Jul 9, 2020
    Wow she is extremely talented

djaxup and J_Bass like this.
  11. Pippy

Pippy

Jul 9, 2020
    Thank you! Love the cartoon :)

leftybass54 and Volker Kirstein like this.
  12. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    It's not that important, you know? Nowadays even low budget basses are good quality.

When I started playing bass, I just went to all the stores in my city and picked a bass that looked similar to what Tim Commerford was playing at the time with RATM.

At the time I knew nothing about basses and the internet ran at 54kb so I chose what I felt attracted to and seemed good quality.

equill and Pippy like this.
  13. This:

Classic Vibe '60s Precision BassĀ® | Squier Electric Basses

. . . . and often our lady bass players (as well as some of our guys) aren't real big people, so for someone a little smaller in stature, any of the Ibanez Soundgear basses in your price range. A size smaller overall and a slimmer neck than a Fender bass.

Best of Luck,

JW

14. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    The SUB Stingray is a great bass for the money!

15. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Buy as much as you can afford.

try a P
    Try a jazz
    decide which fits you.

start there.

then wait for GAS

16. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    :)

17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Precision Bass

dmt, Justinian and Pippy like this.
  18. Yummy Notes

Yummy Notes

Dec 20, 2019
    Welcome to TB. Get the best you can afford.

Pippy, roycroft_88 and lowdownthump like this.
  19. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    I had a few of these come in for setups and I was very impressed with the build quality, playability and sound.

Pippy likes this.
  20. I'd go with a fender (or squire over $300) PJ (split pickup in the middle, single coil bar near the bridge). That'd be a great start. The $200 affinity series Squires really aren't bad either, there's just much better for a couple hundred more (much less than you'd spend to get it to that level).

leftybass54, danesdad and Pippy like this.