1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what size strap: 2.5 or 3"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parksung, Mar 13, 2009.

1. parksung

parksung

Sep 2, 2007
    Not sure where the appropriate place to post this is, but was wondering what size you prefer? I'm pretty small, 5'3" so I don't think wider than 3" would feel right, but curious which size you like...

I'm looking at Levy's padded leathers....

2. I've got straps that vary from 2" to almost 4" and they all feel fine.

3. You'd be surprised after 3 or 4 sets.I have (prefer) the Levy's neoprene straps.Esp with my '75 Jazz.Ash=heavy.

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    2" is good for me but only with a feather weight
    The big boys deserve a 3"

5. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I have nothing smaller than a 4" and one 5" that I use on my heavy weight bass. If I use anything smaller than a 4" I get shoulder and neck pain :(

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I use 2.5" but that's just because I bought a split leather strap that was 2.5" wide. The split leather part of the equation was the important part for me. I tear non-leather straps a new one for some reason.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Mine are 2.5 inches wide. That's plenty wide enough for me...

MM

8. deekay911

deekay911 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Charleston SC
    My 4in Moody is the most comfortable strap I ever had..

9. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
  10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I'll tell ya---a 4" is great. If you've never used one, you'll realize you been missing something once you do.

11. shamus63

shamus63

Dec 17, 2005
    San Mateo, CA
    3" leather straps for me; perfect weight displacement (IMO).

12. Hammr

Hammr

Jul 11, 2008
    +1

13. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    What the saying? Long and thin gets you in, but short and thick does the trick?:D

14. 3.5" Levy (long) padded: One's all-leather, other's leather + polymer, both keep that shrapnel in my shoulderblade from acting up that much.

I love Levy straps & recommend them unless you're vegan; I'm a mere vegetarian so I'm happy w/leather. :spit:

15. I like 3" or wider ... wider = less weight per sq in

16. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Same here.

17. bassdriver

bassdriver

Jun 8, 2005
    FL
  18. I've gotta look into those Italia Leather straps. 4" will be extra-good for me.

Thanks for the info.

PsyDocHill aka Stone

19. Cool info: I boycott MF (and now, GC too) for personal reasons and for the pragmatic ones that they tax me while others don't, plus they charge nearly $70 shipping on the same heavy items other vendors don't, plus they charge shipping no matter what unless you purchase a certain minimum :spit:. Who needs that when there's plenty of online highly-rated competition happy to drop all fees and reduce the price of the merch to boot? Try it, those of you who haven't: When you're fixin' to buy a high-ticket (and this is relative to your budget, duh) item: Go to the "Pricematch" or "We Will Beat the Competition" etc. link and follow the directions: Almost all online stores, except for the usual suspects, will rise to the task, dropping shipping, reducing price so that you'll pay the same or less than the competition even w/the tax...all but MF and GC. Some will even send you little gifts and other tokens of love and friendship. Funny: The big vendors make lots of money, oh yeah. I guess that can have an adverse effect on 'tude toward mildly-to-severely financially-strapped (up to 6.5"!) musicians. People forget where they came from. :scowl:

Not that tax would make much of a dent in the price of a strap.... But, on principle, there you go.

But, thanks again! Strangely enough I never investigated the possibility that there might be a strap that "goes to 4.5" :p As one poster wrote, the greater the weight distribution, the (all else held equal) more comfortable the "fit." Just watch out, those of you who are really small-boned :D We don't want any accidents with straps slipping off narrow shoulders, eh?