1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What songs are you learning/working on?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Trayster2, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Just curious about what others might be working on or learning right now. I'm working on Seven Mary Three's Cumbersome.

2. Just finishing up Beer by Reel Big Fish and starting on Santeria by Sublime.

nambassist likes this.
  3. suddenlysane

suddenlysane Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Well, after reading this post, me thinks I'm going to learn 3 new songs....Cumbersome, Beer, and Santeria!

4. That's a good one.

Working on "Glass Onion" here.

5. I'm currently working on 3 odd time signature tunes by the Grateful Dead... Estimated Prophet which is in 7/8, Playing in the Band in 10/8, and The Eleven, which, strangely enough, is in 11/8.

The structure of the chord progressions are easy enough, but wrapping my head around the counting is a bit of a challenge.

Also, You Enjoy Myself by Phish which is in about 9 different time signatures...

6. bluesbassbkf

bluesbassbkf

Jan 2, 2013
    Black magic woman,,, you don't love me ( allman bros) it's kicking my ass!

7. Raylo

Raylo

Jan 28, 2013
    Afro Blue by Mongo Santamaria. Killer Joe by Benny Golson. Jive Samba by Cannonball Adderly. Footprints by Wayne Shorter.

8. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Flathead by The Fratellis

9. I went to look up the song and ended up watching "Paul is Dead" conspiracy theories. They are quite entertaining, hahaha.

10. BowserBass

BowserBass

Jan 18, 2012
    Im working out Sir Duke. The horn bass part is all a pentatonic scale so the notes are not to hard to figure out, but the order and rhythm is wearing me out!

11. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Well lets see:
    I was made to love her-Stevie
    Thats what love will make you do-JGB version
    Root Down-Rock Candy Funk Party
    Sugaree-good ole grateful dead
    rock n roll hoochie koo-rick derringer
    kid charlemagne-steely dan
    Showdown-ELO

12. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I'm working on Bach Cello Suite #6, I'm still on the prelude which isn't very simple and you have to have a 4 strings 24th fret bass tuned in 5th to have every notes or a 6 strings.

I'm also rearranging some Final Fantasy music

13. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    That's easily one of my favorite songs of his.

14. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    babylon sisters -
    steely dan
    masterpiece

15. +1 Sir Duke is pretty fun, I also dig I Wish. But my favorite Stevie bass line ever is I Was Made To Love Her. Mmm Mmm good. lol

I know it might be a little cliché, but I've always meant to learn Bach's cello suite #1. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Someday.... ;)

Not really working on anything new at the moment (focused on music for my two current bands), but the last one I learned was Detroit by Marcus Miller.

5sg.

16. Detroit is a deadly tune, I'm working l. Frankenstein at the moment, funk band is covering it and I think I have them convinced to go with Marcus's version haha

17. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    Besame Mucho. Good Morning Heartache. Baby Aint I Good To You. Besame Mucho is driving my nuts via our pianist. I recorded her last rehearsal hoping she'll play the tune the same way more than one time!

18. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    Down With Disease by Phish

19. That's awesome, Marcus rules!

My 11-piece funk band currently has 5 hours worth of music (Tower of Power, Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire, Steely Dan, to name a few), but we're approaching "add more music" phase so we can diversify... our goal is to have different 3-4 hour sets for different venues/gigs, and I'm trying to convince them to add instrumental stuff since we have such a great horn section.

Detroit of course, stuff like Chameleon, even an instrumental version of Come Together that I led a while back (yep, you guessed it, based on Marcus' instrumental version. lol).

We'll see.

5sg.

20. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    Love The Tower Of Power! James Brown had that T.O.P. feel...cool stuff.