1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What string gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CannibisZombie, Jul 26, 2012.

1. CannibisZombie

CannibisZombie

Jul 16, 2012
    I am tuning my 5 string bass down a step...what string gauge do i need? Thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whatever you want. I know folks who do it with heavies, mediums, super lights...I used to have to tune down in a couple bands I played with...I used the same gauges I always did...40-95.

3. CannibisZombie

CannibisZombie

Jul 16, 2012
    Whenever I try to tune my B string down to A it gets way too loose. Thats why i figured I needed a thicker string

4. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    You can just replace the B string. I've had mixed results with going to thicker B strings. Consider first a higher tension string. That may or may not mean thicker. If you're using round cores, you might try a hex core on the B.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    What are you using now? (If you know)...

There are some strings that are made to withstand "Drop Tuning" and still have the same diameter as regular strings...

You may need to modify your nut if you go up to a higher gauge of string.

A good quality .135 string should do the trick for you though. A set along the lines of .135 .110 .090 .070 .050 would be nice!

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    If you're going to A on bottom you should go no thinner than a .150. It will have less tension on it than a .100 does at E by about 3 pounds.

A .135 at A will have 33 pounds of tension on it - about the equivalent of using a .092 for an E string.

7. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    Listen to this guy ^ he knows strings.

(And when are CircleK going to make flats? :) )

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It also depends on your scale length. 35" is better.

9. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    There's nothing wrong with a .092 for an E. Plenty of people use .090 or .085.

10. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    maybe on a 36". on a 34" 85s would be crazy

11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I think a .150 is a little bit too much :p Personally I would recommend something like a .135 or .140 for the B (depending on the scale of the bass and tension of the string).

These strings can help you out as well, they are expensive but won't disappoint you : http://www.pyramid-saiten.de/catalogue/historical.pdf

12. bunkaroo

bunkaroo

Apr 25, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I was doing ADGCF on my Bongo 5 and I had it set 145-125-90-70-50. Very good tension - did not feel like a drop at all. I got the 125 since I was using the drop C more than the D on the string. A 120 would be fine too I think. This was with D'Addario XL's.

13. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Not crazy at all. I've done it and it sounds fine. And there are people who use .090" on short-scale basses.

The point is that it's a matter of preference. There is no rule that says strings have to be tight in order to sound good. For some reason people around here are obsessed with flopiness and care more about how their strings feel than how they sound.