1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What strings do you use on your short scale thumper?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Sep 5, 2018.

1. hello, I recently purchased a 2014 Gibson SG bass and I am going to swap out the strings when it gets here (not for a week yet:sour:) so I’m wondering what others are using and like using. Currently I’ve got D’Addarios on both my basses, chromes on the tele bass and nylon tapes on my Bronco. I really love the sound and feel of the tapes on the bronco, but the tension in those is really low also my thinking is they might add too much bass and the SG mudbucker has plenty woofy bass on tap already. I hate the feeling of rounds on my fingers so that’s not an option. The half rounds are another idea, I tried a set on a fretless peavey ages ago and they were interesting. What do most of you run with? Any SG/EB3 players out there especially, I’d really appreciate your input. Wondering what the consensus through experience with these little tone monsters has come to be.

2. GHS Precision flats and Pressure Wounds, Fender 7250 Short Scale set, and SIT Powerwound nickle short scale set. Used them all and liked them all.

3. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I use TI Jazz Flats on both of my Epiphone Rivoli II basses. Both of them have 60s Gibson neck humbuckers so it can get bassy if I want it, but the TI strings have plenty of midrange. I did have a SG neck pickup in one of them previously, and the TI strings worked well with that pickup too.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  4. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Epi Eb0 with daddario etb92s tapewounds (medium gauge). Love em. Only bedroom player so no clue of sound with others/band setting. Had old dead rounds before and this took the clang out. Not necessarily more boomy just less metallic. Cant say tension feels different from stock either.

I really need to swap back in old ones and record it to hear what it sounds like vs memory. Havent tried chromes or flats so limited in my comparison.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    PennyroyalWe likes this.
  5. The two I know are made short scale and have used - D'Addario ProSteels and DR Hi-Beams.

6. Smith357

Smith357

Jul 7, 2018
    OH
    D'Adarrio Tapewounds on my Squire VM SS Jag and Ibanez TMB30, I dig the tone and the super slick feel.

7. D'Addario Tapes on my Squier Jaguar SS and GHS Precision Flats on my Eastwood Classic 4.

Nebula24 likes this.
  8. Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy! D'Addario tapes on my Chowny CHB-1.

WP_20180725_11_46_17_Pro.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Nebula24 and PennyroyalWe like this.
  9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    '94  Gretsch    G6119B.JPG EA-260.JPG Eastwood Lefty BV. Dano Longhorn. Lefty Duke 2.JPG Tapewound Rogue 2. It depends; which one are we talking about? All my short scale basses wear different strings...:whistle:

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  10. Jigmay

Jigmay

Mar 24, 2004
    Haligonia
    La Bella Low Tension flats on an old Hofner Verithin. Love the soft feel and deep & complex sound out of these strings.

11. ek1949

ek1949

Feb 19, 2016
    On my Starfire bass I have Pyramid Gold flats, on my short scale 5 string (Mensinger) I use LaBella copper white tapes.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  12. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    may i ask where You buy them? I recently tried to order two sets gold white tapes (shortscale) and hat to notice that La Bella took them out of production.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  13. ek1949

ek1949

Feb 19, 2016
    I bought my current set at BSOL, and I think you might be right that they can't be special ordered. The black tapewounds are still listed on the LaBella site and I ordered a set from Strings By Mail.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i use heavy gauge DR Sunbeams on my Fender Starcaster. Sound great.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  15. Ah! I just missed the chance to snag one of those :/ they sound so cool from what I’ve heard.

16. LaBella White Nylon Tape Wounds on my Hofner Beatle Bass. Love the sound!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I am dying to try out Dunlop flats on one of my violin basses. I just put them on one of my PJ's again and I love them. But so far my favorite has been LaBellas, although they and Chromes are the only ones I've tried. I do like Chromes but LaBellas edge them out.

PennyroyalWe likes this.