1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What strings for an 8 string bass??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassboy1076, Nov 5, 2013.

1. bassboy1076

bassboy1076

Jan 7, 2011
    Hello ya'll
    I got a hold of an old Washburn 8 string bass a few years back and I'm fixing it up. I was wondering where I could find or who makes 8 string sets. Or what would be the proper gauges of strings so that I can build the set myself? Any recommendations? Thank you
    C

2. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I've only messed around with 8 strings in the store so my experience is VERY limited. however i do know that daddario makes 8 string sets.

whether or not they are good, i dont know.

3. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    Try juststrings.com they have a wide selection plus you could get single strings for custom tuning s

4. I would go to https://www.circlekstrings.com/store/ if I where you.
    You will need two sets but just refer to the tension chart keep in mind 8-string basses may benefit from fairly low string tension.Circle K would really be the way to go if you had any different tuning in mind ,such as dD,aA,dD,gG or bB,eE,aA,dD Circle K has the gauges you need and their strings are very durable.

5. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com

Was that an old bookmarked link? That is from our old server...

This is the link you are looking for:

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Multi-String-8-12_c_14.html

I have put together 8 string octave and 5ths sets for users with flatwounds and nylon tapewounds too!

7. :confused: I really thought I put that in my post :confused: ether I forgot to put that in or the internet ate it :meh: yeah I'm leaning towards the latter :ninja: just like the time it ate part of my signature :ninja:

8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I have the Schecter Stiletto Studio 8, which came stock with the D'addarios that you'll see on the bassstringsonline site. I found the bass fatiguing to play, even with a very low setup. I ended up ordering the S.I.T.s from bassstringsonline based solely on them being the lightest gauge strings I could find. I was pleased to find that the S.I.T.s were not only much easier to play, but I liked the tone better as well. To my ears, they sound less harsh, with more clarity. That, of course, is subjective opinion, not scientific analysis.