1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What strings for traditional blues

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by straightblues, Mar 7, 2013.

1. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    I just recently got a mid 70's Japanese Jazz Bass. I play traditional blues like Muddy Water, Albert, Freddie and BB king sorta stuff. What strings would you recommend for this music and guitar?

2. I don't know the years, but I'd venture to say that it was either uprights or electrics with flats for the originals of theirs.

A lot of TB rates D'addario Chrome flatwounds pretty highly. I Use them in a seven piece Band I play with:bassist:.
    labella's seem to be a more traditional sounding flat (as Im told, Never used them)

My vote goes to either Flats, or Tape wounds.

Preference in Tension, cost and brightness matter. Let us know what you've been using and it gives a better starting point for comparisons

3. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise. Gold Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I agree with using the Labella or Chromes flats for a good blues sound. I'm using Chromes flats on my Precision and Jazz in a Texas Blues trio. The sound is smooth, but still has definition. I reserve the Labella tapewounds for my fretless.

4. StringsDirect

StringsDirect

Feb 21, 2013
    I'd agree with the above recommendations, both LaBella and D'Addario are great brands for Acoustic strings.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Chromes good thump with some bite.

6. My favorite music to play is Blues and Reggae. I love the sound of Chromes for that fat, mellow tone.

7. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    FLATS! Chromes, Ernie Ball Group III, Sadowsky, Labella are all good.

I play blues and also like D'addario Half Rounds, Ken Smith Slick rounds and Compressors.

8. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I play in a Blues band too,Chromes are it for me on my 61 P and my Squier VM p..:bassist: