Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do in Charlotte, NC?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Jun 9, 2004.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am taking a 4 day business trip to Charlotte 6/10.

So, what should I do/see while I am in town?

Any decent music stores? Any good sushi or seafood restaurants? After all, the company will be paying for my meals!:D

I have never flown before. Any advice for a first time air traveler?

2. hey dude! thats about an hour north west of me! i go there all the time for paramounts carowinds. as far as i know, no outstanding music stores, but if you see a Carolina Wings, definitely stop in there. Great food!

anyways, have a good trip!

3. thrasher717

thrasher717

Jan 17, 2003
    North Dakota
    You could visit my parents ;)

4. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Welcome to my town and the home of the Carolina Panthers! I don't get out much so I'm not up on the social scene. You can check out the Go Carolinas website to get a general idea of what's going on around here. There is usually something to see at Oven's Auditorium, the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, and various other places. If you decide you want to live here, give me a shout. My house is for sale and we're having open house this weekend. If you want to see me wank on bass Sunday morning, come to The Church at the Crossroad It's pretty traditional stuff compared to what you guys play though so it might put ya to sleep.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There's a great jazz bassist named Ron Brendle that lives in Charlotte, see if he's playing. Tell him I said "Hi".

He's got a record up (one of many) at CDBaby, do a search in JAZZ under his name, if you want to hear what he sounds like. Or he has a website...

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dave Pushic is in Charlotte.

7. embellisher

Might see if I can drop in Sunday morning.:)

8. hmm...perhaps buisness? thats the reason why ur on a buisiness trip, eh steve? maybe some more italics will get you talking. perhaps i should throw in a little underlining or maybe some magenta will get you talking.

9. embellisher

***?:confused:?

10. i so confusamilated 0_o

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you get sat next to a noisey, rambunctious kid, growl at them in such a fasion to suggest that you are
    a) A person very likely to make them cry
    b) Some sort of bear/man monster
    c) Both A and B.

12. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Get the window seat. ;)

13. You want advice before a flight? DO NOT watch the movie "Alive" or "Die Hard 2" before flight :D

14. Violin+Bass4life

Violin+Bass4life Commercial User

Nov 26, 2015
    Does any know of any good teachers in the Charlotte area?

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2015
    mid-West VA
    I'm not a very nice person, deep deep down.
    There's bound to be some great teachers there. Math or English?

16. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    OK, we've been there for a conference and did several things.

First, there's a pretty good BBQ place outside of the downtown area to the south I think with a biker theme. Good BBQ.
    Downtown, there's the NASCAR museum. I'm not a NASCAR fan, but our conference had an event there, and it was pretty cool.
    They have a light rail downtown you can ride to some different shopping/dining areas. Also fun.
    We had fun just walking downtown. Ate at another BBQ place. Dixie-something maybe?
    If you rent a car like we did, we:
    - visited the Billy Graham museum. Interesting even if you aren't religious. Lots of historical stuff there and well done.
    - There's a botanical garden about 10 miles outside of town - very walkable and we enjoyed it.

Not like a ton of stuff to do, but we kept ourselves entertained.

17. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
  18. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I've played several corporate events in downtown Charlotte. It's kind of a dead zone - lots of suit and tie types, since it's home to many banking corporate headquarters. I used to kill a lot of time in the CityCenter development after soundcheck, but you've got to be in the mood for chain restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I'm sure there have to be some good local joints, but I'm not aware of them.

Regarding flying, my only advice is don't be the jerk who overpacks but also refuses to check a bag. Nothing grinds my gears more than the people who bring 4 or 5 bags as carry-ons.

19. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    You guys realize the OP asked this question 11 years ago? I suspect his business trip is probably over by now.

20. Violin+Bass4life

Violin+Bass4life Commercial User

Nov 26, 2015
    Bass teachers