1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do when your lead singer complains

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Robin Goud, May 21, 2019.

1. Robin Goud

Robin Goud

May 21, 2019
    Hey guys,
    I am new to the forum, but i have some questions and maybe others have the same.
    I joined two guys who wanted to start a ska punk band, one is a drummer the other one is a singer with no band experience.
    after making some songs we found a keyboard player and we where ready to gig and such, after the first gig we got a guitar player joining us. the new guys really get the feel and ideas we want to get trough. They follow my fills and ask a lot what to do.
    But now, the singer is saying that my bass lines are to difficult to sing on, also he said that it is unfair for the other members. I wrote the music and instructed the new guys so they can play along and i do give them space to have a certain lead/percussive role. What can i do/say?

for a little bit of background information, he likes the new generation party ska punk and pop country whereas i listen to older generations rocksteady ska & 2tone. Also he is a virgin and i get all the chicks, is that a factor?

Nunovsky, MattZilla, Ellery and 8 others like this.
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Welcome.

What does that even mean?
    "Bass lines difficult to sing on?"
    What does that mean?
    (I suppose it might mean you're too loud in his mix...)
    So you've got keys, you've got guitar - who is driving the melody - and why isn't it the singer ?
    If you're the songwriter, is this 'your' project? Or is it a collaboration?

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you are the bandleader, you can decide. But I am not sure why the singer has ruled it is unfair to the others. As you said, he has no band experience. Perhaps it's time for a band discussion to talk about how EVERYONE feels about the arrangements, and if people think things can be improved.

DJ Bebop and Charlzm like this.
  4. Robin Goud

Robin Goud

May 21, 2019
    Well it surely is a collaboration, but when no one can make a decision at all i jump in start creating with the ideas everyone has. The thing i think it is, is that he see my playing as melodic interference, what for me is weird because i just play the chords on the beat, he has all the space to create melodies with it. But what can you say to an insecure singer idk? maybe playing root notes in chord progression but then we are stuck because a progression which should be ii iv V I VI turns into a, II IV V I VI,,,

tekhedd likes this.
  5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Sounds like the singer has a crappy ear for music. A good singer can weave a melody around anything.

Ellery, Jimmy4string, tekhedd and 4 others like this.
  6. Robin Goud

Robin Goud

May 21, 2019
    We talk a lot, there is no hierarchy settled, yet. Ofcourse, a good meeting should be applied. But still it is just a bit strange and i don't really know yet how to look at it, so some different perspectives are welcome.

7. Robin Goud

Robin Goud

May 21, 2019
    Maybe the band should re-educate him with a broader palette of music? :whistle:

8. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A band should be able to discuss anything related to the music in a respectful manner. I've always said, I'm willing to listen. I could be wrong (theoretically, at least).

9. Robin Goud

Robin Goud

May 21, 2019
    Yeah, never sacrifice the music but always be reasonable.

10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Your,vocalist may be right - or not. All the more reason for everyone to talk freely.

11. Robin Goud

Robin Goud

May 21, 2019
    He could be, and we do talk freely. But concrete talk is also important otherwise you could give the wrong impression, and i am not really sure what he meant with what he said.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  12. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    43037034-420F-434F-8598-9B2FCB807A5C. What to do when your lead singer complains

13. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    So sit down together and talk - not at rehearsal. Sit down over a pot of coffee or bottles of beer.

14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    "What to do when your lead singer complains"

NOTHING. You do nothing.

They always complain, about anything and everything, and if you spend your time trying to make them happy you will spend your entire life doing nothing but that.

15. Is he good enough to change what you are doing?

End of the day - if he is - compromise. An awesome singer, with minor foibles, is worth it.

Nevada Pete and MobileHolmes like this.
  16. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I would try to politely but firmly explain to the drummer that he should seek new employment.

17. Last Rebel

Last Rebel Lone Wolf - No Club Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Hello Robin, and Yes welcome aboard to Talk Bass

... I'm surprised no one has said ..

" fire the drummer". ;)

Stick around you will love this website

18. Robin Goud

Robin Goud

May 21, 2019
    nahh he is a okay, he even is a better singer for the genre too.

19. Last Rebel

Last Rebel Lone Wolf - No Club Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Lol its just a little joke we sometimes throw in...

20. Robin Goud

Robin Goud

May 21, 2019
    i reallt get that, but maybe i wasn't ;)