1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to do with extra side input jack?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by andysvec, Oct 17, 2013.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    That appears to be a "football" plate style side mount jack plate, which should be able to fit a standard 1/4" jack, so I do not believe that a bullet jack is necessary to use a side jack. Depending on the hole size, the jack may slip through that hole from the inside, or you can de-solder and re-solder it back on, if it's not.

3. andysvec

I just mean I already have an input mounted on my audere control plate, so I don't need to use the football side jack and want to 'easily' fill it or cover it or ?

4. andysvec

Or I could mount the input from my audere control plate to the football side jack, but then what can I do with the extra hole in the audere? I'd love an active/passive switch but they stated wasn't possible with the pre?

5. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    You could put the jack out the side and put a dummy knob in the extra hole on the control plate...you could also switch things up and be the only guy on the block with a knob coming out of the side of the bass where the jack should be... :D

Maybe not that last thing. That sounds like something that I'd do for fun.

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Ahh I see, well never mind :)

You could always put a "dummy plate" with a jack and confuse folks ;)

Or just find a plate without a hole and cover it up.

7. andysvec

ha, there's some great answers here :)

I do like the 3 hole control plate idea, can just get the Fender 62 Vintage Jazz Bass 3 Hole Control Plate and drill the small hole for the audere mini toggle, I think I'll try that!

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
  9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Which Audere? The Pro-Z and Classic will fit in a 3 hole plate, but the Pro JZ3 is mounted to a circuit board and is only compatible with a 4 hole plate...

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Norway
    Put the jack in the side hole and fit a new knob in the hole in the control plate.

If you don't want "fake" knobs make it a kill switch. ;)

11. andysvec

oh snap, I just checked and I have the circuit board JZ3, three hole control plate is out now.

So I think I'll just leave everything as is and figure out something to do with the open side jack hole, some easy way to fill it. Golf ball, small light, rubber drain stopper, ?

12. I have the same problem, except it's because I went back to a passive setup and now have an empty football plate. Hmmm...

13. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    I would explore the possibility of moving the jack to the side and putting a passive varitone in it's place.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hang a striped tail from it. Raccoon perhaps. You will have the most talked about bass on Earth for a while.

15. You could put a kill switch there

16. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Since a 3 hole wont work, then I would buy a new 4 hole plate, and change the Z mode switch out with a full size toggle switch and put it where the jack would go. You would still have to drill a hole for the LED light, but that should be easy enough. Using a dummy knob or having an extra output jack for no reason would bug me.

17. What? Does anyone know why?

18. andysvec

not sure, my pickups can be run in passive but I guess you can't bypass the audere with their pots/wiring.

The folks at Audere are very nice, I sent an email and they suggested adding a passive tone control. I may do that, but may just find something to plug the side jack hole and stick with the audere as is.

how bout something like this to plug the bottom side jack hole :)
    RS104__81904.1332693475.1280.1280.

19. It's a bigger deal than you'd think. Since preamps and passive pickups need rather different pot values to work correctly you really need two sets of pots to switch between. To give one example, the East retro pre gives you passive mode but kind of as a last resort-you keep a volume control because he uses a dual-gang pot for it, each gang having a different value. But all the other pots cease to function, unless you have a passive tone which would still work. Not even the balance works, forcing you to choose both pickups full or only the bridge, with a small toggle switch.