Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LaPolicia, Jan 13, 2004.

1. LaPolicia

LaPolicia

Jan 13, 2004
    NOR CAL
    I just really got into bass and i was wondering what you think i should do, take lessons or teach myself? If most of you think that i should teach myself should i buy a book or what. I am honestly clueless on what to do and i want to be able to contribute to my band.

2. Welcome to TB!

I would strongly suggest getting a teacher, this will prevent you from developing bad habits in the beginning.

As you progress, you may find it beneficial to learn on your own, but to get started, I suggest take some lessons........

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Teacher. In the long run it could be harder to learn the proper way to do things, after a long time of exercising bad technique (I should know).

BTW, this belongs in the general instruction forum, I'd also reccomend a search in that forum as well, this has been covered, fought, argued, and otherwise in the past.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Good idea. Moved.

5. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Whichever you decide, get at least one or two lessons just so you can get used to the very basics, like hand positioning and such.

6. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    the three best things you can do are:

1. get a teacher

2. listen to records and try to play the bass lines you like

3. just play with your band... if something sounds good, play it again! if it sounds bad, either A. stop playing it, or B. keep playing it until it sounds good :) (knowing whether to do A or B is a rare & valuable skill :) )

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Definitely get a teacher if you can manage the cost and the time. A teacher can show you techniques which are hard to demonstrate in a book or even in a video or DVD.

Also a teacher can correct your errors. If you are self-teaching, you may not be aware of subtle errors that are impacting your progress.

Very importantly, a teacher can answer your questions and help clear up areas of confusion in your understanding of a book or video.

You don't need to commit to dozens of classes, just enough to get you oriented. Once you feel you can manage on your own awhile, stop and study with books or videos, but return to your teacher if you find you need more coaching and explanation.

By the way, we have had some heated debates over this question at TalkBass. Some folks do believe self-taught is best. They may be exceptionally gifted musically. I know I never would have achieved very much trying to teach myself. I owe a lot to the teachers I have had, but I was fortunate to have had some excellent ones.

8. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Assuming your goal is to become a good bassist there are no arguments against getting a good teacher.

/lovebown

9. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Okay, I've seen posts like this before and I really really don't get it. How do you join a band before you learn to play the instrument you are to be playing in the band? I'm assuming this only happens when we are very young. Please fill out your profile (birth date could be disguised but should be complete enough to indicate age - it's never N/A) ...I'm really curious how a person that doesn't play bass (yet) lands a gig as a bass player? (maybe I'm just jealous because I play bass and I can't find a band :bawl: )

10. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    It's a fairly common occurence around my area. Mainly due to these factors (I'm talking just for the common bar band here):

1. Bass players are more difficult to find than the other members of a band.
    2. The bass parts to most of the standards are not too terribly difficult.
    3. The bass parts for any originals can be simplified without anyone in the audience caring.
    4. If the bass player screws up, the guitars will cover it.