What to DO??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bowlcut7, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Bowlcut7

Aug 2, 2004
    Hey everyone. I have been looking into getting a bass guitar for sometime now. A couple years ago I was really close to buying one but decided not to. Oh, I have NO experience with an instrument whatsoever, I love music though which is why I even consider it. The question I had and I guess the reason I am so hesitant to buy one is that I am affraid that I may back out. I mean I won't be playing in a band, it would just be something fun to do in my free time and I was always interested in playing the bass. I just wanted to ask everyone if the bass was something that could be played alone and stay interesting and fun. I guess I have this image that the bass will get old for some reason if you dont play in a band, I have no idea why. Maybe because I listen to rock/punk rock and guitars usually dominate the scene. I would probably just be playing around trying to play tabs and making up some music as I go. Anyway, sorry if this has been covered, I searched and couldn't find anything. Thanks for your help in advance.

2. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Welcome to TB.

The bass is a great instrument on it's own.
    Whether it's just for fun or more of a serious venture.
    Is there any way you can borrow a bass from anybody you know?
    In alot of rock/punk settings the bass is pretty much buried and doesn't get the attention it deserves.
    There is alot of music out there which incorporates the bass as a major part of the music. Check the Recordings forum for some insight on song, bands etc which would give more of an idea of what the bass is capable of.
  3. AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    I get asked that same question a lot from people who don't see how you can just play the bass without any accompanying instruments.

I have a few takes on the matter.

One, I enjoy playing along to CDs, so there is my "backing band".

Two, I enjoy playing progressive rock such as Rush and Dream Theater. If you know anything about those bands, you know how complex the bass parts are; they are almost bass solos, and they sound great when played alone. If I played your typical Motley Crue-style music (droning eigth notes based on the chord root), those basslines WOULD be quite boring when played by themselves. So if you want to play without accompaniment, your preferred style of music will have an effect on how musical it sounds.

These are, of course, just my opinions. Others may violently disagree with me. :)

- E.
  4. You really don't need to play in a band to have fun playing bass. Practice along to CDs and start with simple bass lines. I have a neat book with the music from the Police with just the bass lines, which is fun. But then once you feel comfortable, you can go to jam sessions. I just went to a picnic for musicians over the weekend and play several sets and enjoy the variety - I played blue grass and Irish and some acoustic rock. There were several bassists there, but I was the only one with an upright, so it was a real big hit. In any case, I have been to several jam sessions and some, like this one, are very elaborate with professional musicians mixed with weekenders like me. Others are designed for weekend pickers. Music can open up new avenues and you can meet great people. And you don't need to be in a band to have fun and keep the instrument from getting "old" even when you are in fact "old" like me.
  5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Awesome decision bowlcut!

1. Yes, bass will be boring for about the first 6 months. This is the weeding out period between the people who enjoy music and the people who want get into a band solely for chicks. During this period you should work on obtaining a general acquaintance with music theory/scales.

2. You'll have alot more luck finding bands as a bassist than you will as a guitarist or drummer.

3. I don't get bored playing alone. I played alone in my room for 2 YEARS before I felt worthy enough to start playing with people. Eventually you will start learning music by ear (if you got down with your scales) and jamming along to your favorite albums. :D

Best of luck Bowlcut!! We're here to help you!!! :bassist:
  6. Bowlcut7

Aug 2, 2004
    Thanks for everyone's input, I really appreciate it. I truly think I would have fun playing the bass. I will probably end up calling my cousin who owns a 5 string and see how he likes it and give it a play myself to see how it feels. Like I said, I just wanted to play just for fun and let it go where it goes from there. You all have been a huge help!
  7. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Buy a used bass and amp, that way you won't lose as much money if you find it's not for you..
  8. Bowlcut7

Aug 2, 2004
    That is probably what I will do, you recommend J-bass or P-bass, I thought maybe J because I do have smaller hands but i know they have different sounds and I dont really know what to get based on the music I like and would be playing. Seriously, my hands are pretty small, my friends even made fun of me when i mentioned playing the bass due to the size of my hands haha, but I would rather have whats going to be best with the music I like.
  9. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Good attitude Bowlcut7.

The size of your hand isn't the issue, it's technique.
    I have small hands and I play a 7-string.

Remember, your doing this for yourself. For your enjoyment and to get involved with something you want to persue.
    Just have have fun.

Also the Jazz is a good choice. If and when you decide on purchasing your own bass, try to play as many basses as possible.
    There are alot of things to consider which you will find out as you play more basses such as tone, feel and playability.