1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to get what to get....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dt212, Sep 4, 2008.

1. dt212

dt212

Jun 2, 2008
    ive been looking at getting a new amp, i currently use a peavy tour 450 with a peavy pro 115, ive been looking at ampeg and eden mainly.

Ampeg i love the old look, heads not rack stuff, purely for the classic look and they sound great.

eden i love the sound and versitility, cant decide between the
    wt1205 or the wt 800c yes these are top of the range but i figure i wont need anything more if i just save now.

what does everyone think is better?

also what cabs? i like 8x10's and ampegs seem most practicle with the kick back and the slide rails for stairs.

and if it makes a difference i have heard uriah duffy say ampeg is just a one trick pony :p http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qefKxIwkz34&feature=related

edit: im also considering the all tube eden although i havent played any eden, cant seem to find any in shops in scotland

2. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I have no experience with either, but I am seriously jones-ing for an Eden head. I like the fact that it can do 2 ohms as well.

3. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Not on your list, but I say:

[​IMG] :D

Or find its Sunn version on Ebay.

4. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    What is your Peavey rig not giving you beyond the possibility that you may only need to add or change to a different cab set up? By the way, I'm not against anyone deciding to go to something different if what they currently have just ain't doing it anymore, or if it never really did deliver what was desired and hoped for.

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1000 on Eden!!!!

6. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Simply put: Eden will give you a lot more tone choices than ANY Ampeg head ever will. Ampeg, in my opinion, is a one-trick pony, but it's a damn good trick! The sound out of an Ampeg is darn good for many styles of music and for A LOT of people - that is just what they need. If you want to jump around tone wise with a clean and fat sounding tone - Eden is your best choice. Eden allows your bass's inherent tone to come through and just sweetens/fatten's the tone a little bit. Ampeg heads seem to transform your bass into the Ampeg tone world, your inherent guitar tone is still there, but not as much as the Eden let's through.

The other factor here is that you have not tried enough gear just yet. Any amp can look good on paper, but until you hear it through a speaker cab you like, you won't know what you are looking for.

7. dt212

dt212

Jun 2, 2008
    yea thats the problem, the best local music shop is an hours bus ride away and even then they just keep combos, the best they had was a hughes and kettner (which sounded great) but no eden or ampeg :( even tho they have deizels and 5150's and such for guitarist lol, i play through the solid state ampeg head (not the rack ones) in our practice halls and it sounds good, but not perfect. mebe im looking for tube?

and yea i glanced at the fender tube head but i like how proffesional eden are,

i love the billy sheehan tone, but thats 2 svt-4's one for lows and one for highs (with overdrive on the highs slightly) then i look at uriah duffys (whitesnake) setup one eden hybrid amp and some pedals but mostly pure tone, and ive never heard a bad eden tone