what to look for in a teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by esp50, Jan 25, 2004.

1. esp50

Jan 14, 2004
    my teacher right now is sorta whacky,hes cool though,but hes teaching me stuff i dont feel the need to learn,and making me alternate my finger style,like finger 1 fret 1 finger 2 fret 2,why cant i just use a main finger and move it over?is it to build strength in all my fingers?
    also hes teaching me how to keep on beat,i guess thats good...and how to read music but im totally lost on that one..anyhelp for how to read music?
    and is he a good teacher?i dont really feel i learn to well with him,maybe its just because hes teaching me the boring stuff right now?:meh:
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Maybe it's because you're unwilling to work for your instrument. You've gotta drudge through the "boring stuff" for a little while. After all, you've gotta learn the rules before you can break them. Get over it, do the work, and then you get to the fun stuff!
  3. Putting this in General Instruction will gather more responses. I can't do it myself, however. And good luck with your lessons, they will get better.
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The reason why you have to split up your fingers like that is that you can play faster and more accurate when you don't have to move around all the time. My teacher kinda reminds me when my fingering isn't the most efficient and usually suggests I move it but doesn't force me, this includes when I do my "Jamerson hook" playing on my right hand once in a while. He's doing a good job, what I really like about my teacher is that he has perspective not only on bass but on music as a whole too. There's so much you can learn about the bass just by going out and watching good players and listening to them and my teacher is aware of that, he shows me clips of good players and suggests good stuff for me to listen to.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    gotta learn to crawl before you can walk.
  6. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Your teacher sounds like a good teacher and you sound like a poor student.

You actually have to invest time and effort in your instrument to sound good.
  7. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Actually, no offense but I agree with him. Just keep working on it, nothing he's teaching you is wrong, fretting with different fingers is important, keeping beat is important, and reading music is important too (although you can get away with reading chord charts, but its much more useful to read music). Just keep working at it, you'll get it eventually, if you can't commit to it and practice hard while enjoying it, I suggest keeping at it for a bit longer and if you still don't like it maybe you should play something else? Just my 2 cents, no offense to you meant.
  8. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    BoiNtC put it in a nicer way. I like that.
  9. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Come on guys... you know you hated that stuff when you started out too! Your teacher is teaching you what he feels you need to learn. Do it.
  10. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    regarding to the topic I suggest you look for respectability (is that a word?) first. Then the musical and formational qualities. Because unless you respect him there is no chance you will succeed.
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A musical instrument is something that must be respected. Wash your hands before you play. Wipe down your strings after you play. Be proud that you play a musical instrument. Put the time into it and it will reward you a thousand times over. Work hard and you'll never find anything so satisfying. Most of all, have fun. Do your lessons that your teacher gives you and then take time for yourself after your work to explore the bass. Find out what you enjoy about the instrument. Learn some of your favorite tunes. Also, express to your teacher how you're feeling. Your teacher should ultimately balance the essential information with straight up fun.
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sigh. Moved to *a more appropriate forum*.
  13. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    You're calling your teacher wacky because he teaches you technique and how to read music? Man, I was expecting you to say he's wacky cuz he's a show off or doesn't know what he's doing. :confused:

I'm not sure what you were expecting in your teacher. Did you think he was just going to show you some tablature and that will be that? Like Schwinn said, "gotta learn to crawl before you can walk." If you want to get anything out of your lessons you have to have the dedication, patience, and discipline. The best teachers help you open new doors, they listen, they help you, they open you up to the language of music.

And if your teacher is a good teacher at all he will help you with any questions you have. If you are lost on reading music, tell him such. If you don't let him know you are lost, he may move forward and you will become more lost. The teacher is not the only one with responsibility. You have a voice as well.

Good luck.
  14. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The bassist's #1 job is to keep the beat.