1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to tip...Applebee's Carside to Go?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Menace, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Menace

Menace

Mar 4, 2009
    WV
    So, I just picked up a Carside to Go order from Applebee's. I gave a $2 tip. The bill came to $35. Am I a cheapskate? :meh:

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    no. they hardly did any work.

3. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Considering it sounds like you are too lazy to step out of your car and walk 10 feet to a door, then open that door, and walk another 10 feet to get your Applebees....yes, you are a cheapskate AND a lazy piece

4. I usually do 10-15% on the carside service (not often) and 20-25% when dining in.

Mike

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I guess I'm not familiar with the carside thing. If it's a straight carry-out where you're walking up to the counter, you don't owe them a thing. If they're bringing it to you car, you should tip, but not as much as dine-in. It's not like you're sitting at a table for an hour and they're coming by every 10 mins to fill drinks and stuff.

Now, even in the carside scenario, $2 for a $35 tab might be a buck or two short, but considering a lot of people probably don't tip for carside at all, you're still ahead of the game. Don't sweat it.

6. wolf7883

wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    Used to work there...10% standard...15% if the carside to-go person is hot :p

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Oooh. Not to steal the OP's thread, but I've been wondering if I'm a jerk for only tipping like 10% on dine in meals which involve extremely limited table service -- i.e. you order at the counter and five minutes later they bring you your order -- no beverages, napkins, checks, etc.

Seems very similar, and I don't want to undertip, but I'm not sure if I'm even supposed to, since the entirety of their service is walking the food 10 feet over to me.

8. Menace

Menace

Mar 4, 2009
    WV
    Stinger, you crack me up! I'm a lazy piece....!!! LOL! If Applebee's doesn't want to serve me and accept my legal tender, they should stop offering Carside to Go. Laziness is the whole point!

The whole transaction consisted of this: I called in the order. I waited the alloted 25 minutes. I parked in the designated Carside to Go parking space. I waited an additional 7.8 minutes. A person carried out my order. I opened my window, accepted my order, and handed the person cash.

Is this worthy of more than a $2 tip?

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Lousy service=Lousy tip
    Great service=great tip

Carside service=10-15% tip. Unless I have to wait forever.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds right, I dropped $7 and change on a $42 and change order the other day (first visit to the 'carside' thing). I figured on adding $3 to $5 to my order but I saw the server I rounded up a bit... she was a real fine looking petite brunette with big brown eyes :smug:

11. PurpleGiant

PurpleGiant

Apr 1, 2010
    Salem,OR

If it came to you ON TIME then yes you are a cheap b@stard. Is 15%, which comes out to $5, too much to ask? No.

However if it was a minute late you should burn out right in his face and clip him with the mirror. :eek::D:eek::D

12. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    You tip when no tip has been earned?

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    You made a funny. :hyper:

14. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    It doesn't matter the price of the food when I am ordering pickup food, which I have already paid for in advance. If the person brings me the food I give them a one dollar tip, every time. It wouldn't matter if I was going to Outback or a fancy restaurant downtown. $1 is all they get. Walking twenty feet to my car is hardly a service. If I give them cash and they need to bring me back change, I will tip $2.

15. Obviously it's a service or you wouldn't have them do it. I guess I approach this differently than some here. I figure that tipping is just part of ordering food prepared and delivered by someone besides myself. If I don't want to pay it, I stay home and cook.

I tip because they are not only making my life easier, but because I generally feel they are underpaid for having to put up with all they do. Someone questioned another for tipping people when they haven't "earned" it. I can only assume that person hasn't waited tables before.

I have a good job that has thankfully eliminated the need to suck up to virtually anyone in order to pay my bills. Not everyone is that lucky. Some people have to serve food to ungrateful individuals who bark orders at them like dogs and expect to get their butt kissed. I sometimes think those people come to restaurants to get the feeling of superiority/control they don't get elsewhere in life, I dunno.

At any rate, anyone who has to put up with that kind of bull to make a living deserves more than my sympathy and I gladly give it.

Mike

16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm easily pursuaded by receipts that include a line that says "tip." It's sit down dining, but realistically the service is equivalent to Carl's Jr.

I dunno, maybe I should save my buck or two.

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have no trouble tipping inside. I have trouble tipping for Carside. They didn't do anything except walk out to my car. I'm sorry, that's not worth a tip. Before you call me ugly names, I am neither cheap nor lazy. I tip very well for good service. The problem is our "entitlement" society. Everyone thinks they are owed something just for being.

The Carside service cost them nothing. Pure profit. I didn't take up table space, I didn't take up server time. I'm not getting free refills of pop. Nothing.

18. I think you might be stepping out on a limb here. That argument could easily be turned in the other direction, as well. You say our entitlement society has led to people expecting a tip for nothing, they might say our entitlement society has led you to expect food to be delivered straight to your car door for free.

Besides, nobody said the carhop expected anything. Even if they did, it's not just "for being". That guy who hasn't done anything has saved you the trip inside to pick up your own food. Obviously that's worth something or else you wouldn't use the service.

Pure profit? I'm not so sure. In my general observation, that service costs them about 3 more employees on a weekend night (usually one taking the calls/assembling orders and 2 checking orders/delivering it). There's probably an added cook in the back to keep up, as well.

Mike

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Maybe. I never use Carside to Go. but it's an enticement to get me to eat/spend money there, right? They want me to come there instead of Buffalo Wild Wings where they don't have Carside, just pickup. where you have to walk in to get it. I'd rather do that anyway. That means an expense to them - like the cost of taking credit/debit cards. In the long run they must think they are better off to offer this service. I'm still not sure why I should tip someone for the minute it takes them to walk it to my car and take my money.

Maybe not pure profit, but do you see what I'm saying? The cook, the server, bartender are all there anyway. I don't think my pick up order is a hardship for them. If it is, than Applebee's should offer the service, right?

20. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I don't have anything to add to what Mike said. One is indeed paying for additional service, and paying someone who works an often ingrate job.