1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to upgrade on Spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattsk42, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Pickups only

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Preamp only

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Pickups and preamp

20 vote(s)
    58.8%
  4. Get a ReBop/whatever can be had less than $1100

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. Carrots

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. You can vote on more than one, but explain why you voted for any of them.

It's a 5 string OLP Spector.
    Basically, I'm ok with the sound, but it just doesn't sound like a big boy Spector. The playability is good enough, so here's my question...

Is there a way to (really) cheaply upgrade the pickups and/or preamp for this bass to make it sound at least ReBop-esque if not very similar?

2. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Pickups and preamp. It's like running a small, dinky practice amp through a small, dinky 8" speaker. Chances are, you hate both, and upgrading each individually will have only a minor effect.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1. Preamp and pickups.

4. A big part of the Spector sound comes from those EMGs and the Spector "Tone-pump" circuit.

5. Looking like preamp and pickups so far...

Has anyone actually done this before?

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Fixed :)

7. troubleboy

troubleboy

Jun 25, 2008
    Rochester, MN
    Active EMG pickups and preamp definitely. Made as well get a brass nut too while you're at it too. Check out the Spector Club threads. There's lot's of info and comparisons of the different combinations of pickups and preamps Spector has offered over the years.

8. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

Aug 18, 2008
    I would definitely put aguilar preamp to it. The more expensive spectors have it and they sound great. Emg pickups maybe dc40 and you have match made in heaven.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Aguilar + Bartolini = sweet.

My USA Spector came with an Aguilar and active EMG pickup...replaced it with a Bart with great results. Same basic sound, but with none of the drawbacks of active pickups (ie..works with pedals now!)

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The tonesuck preamp is the worse part of those imo. The emg designed pups are actually pretty good if you like crunchy voice. Id replace just the preamp and see if that does the trick.

11. EMG DC40's and an Aguilar OBP-2. That's what my Spector Euro had, and it was enormous.

12. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Pickups and preamp... I agree with others that only changing one will still chain you down to the weakest link in the electronics.