1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What tuner do you use in the studio

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iriegnome, Apr 23, 2015.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Let me hear it.. What tuner do you use in a studio?
    I will be doing some long term studio recording and I will be plugging direct into the board.
    I need to buy a tuner like yesterday, but am not sure about what to buy. I have never worked fully in a studio before, so I am kind of clueless about this.
    I have a cheap pedal tuner and my live rig Korg. I am looking for something though to leave in the studio at all times and not move it. I am plugged into the board with cords that won't move either. I have a fully complete seperate set of everything for this.
    Just looking for any ideas as to a tuner for my needs.

2. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Just get one of those snark clip ons or a hand held tuner. I don't see why a pedal tuner would be necessary in the studio.

3. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    In the studio the Snark blue body clip on works just fine. Either that or just tune to the piano.

4. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    See that is why I was asking. Never used one of those clip on things. Do they work well? How about for 5'ers?

5. I have one of the snark clip on tuners, it works ok on the 5 strings, although it depends a little on the bass how well the B picks up... it's harder to use on my warwick than it is on my stingray. Totally functional in both cases though. I use either that or a korg plug-in type tuner that I've had forever, it lives in the case. That little thing works great... Korg CA30

6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    The clip on would probably be best for studio. Silent as death ;)

7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I use Modulus Q5's. I have read a couple of people have issues with the clip on tuners. I have also heard good things about them as well.

8. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    When I record in the studio I use whatever pedal tuner is on my board, preferably my Sonic Research Turbo Tuner. I'm too particular about tuning accuracy to rely upon anything other than a decent tuner that I have my bass plugged directly into, so I can quickly and accurately check my tuning between tracks/takes.

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    The blue Snark works very well with all my 5 string basses (Fender, Warwick, Alembic, Pedulla, Squier...). The key is to experiment for a couple of minutes to find the best spot on the headstock to clip the tuner. If you have a 5 string Fender you'll probably find the best spot to be just above the nut on the G string side of the headstock, at least that's where my Fender and Squier basses work best with the Snark. The location is different on my Warwicks, IIRC the best spot on those is right next to the A string tuner.

Just clip it on and with your volume turned off strum the B string then move the tuner to a different location to see if it reacts and locks in faster. Once you find the best spot you'll probably be amazed at how simple, fast, accurate, trouble free and inexpensive these things are. My $20 Snark clip on tuner replaced my $200 Korg DTR 2000 rack mount tuner.

iriegnome likes this.
  10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    so using a pedal tuner works in a studio? Does the Turbo Tuner or something like a Korg Pitch allow true bypass so it doesn't interrupt the signal while recording?

iamthebassplayr likes this.
  11. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I've never had a problem. The Turbo Tuner and Pitchblack are both true bypass, and I've never noticed any tone issues in the studio. However, this is a very easy test for you... buy one, record a few sample takes with and without it, and if you notice any tone/signal issues then you can just return it.

rtav likes this.
  12. Ironically I've had a ton of tuners but in the studio Ive always used a little Korg hand held. The little $25 one. Works great. I also use it for setting up basses.

Live my shure glxd pedal wireless has an awesome tuner, tracking range is amazing, unlike many tuners that struggle or just can't track low b or lower. It Tracks fast, and the display is a nice size and easy to see. I do not use the strobe mode though. I played for 20 years without strobe tuners, don't feel any need to start.

13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    anyone have any idea what the difference between the Snark Tuners are? SN-1, SN-5, SN-6??

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    sorry about that. SN-1 (Guitar and Bass), SN-2 (All Instrument), SN-5 (Guitar, Bass, Violin), SN-6 (Uke), SN-8 (Super Tight All Istrument)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  15. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Info here...
    Original Clip On :snark

I use the blue one and it works great, plenty fast and accurate. That said, SN-8 does look interesting.

16. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    If you're going directly into the board, why not just use some VST? In my studio I use reaper and have my guitarist tune using ReaTune (included as part of Reaper) thrown up on my main display when he goes straight into the board.

17. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    make sure you tune, then turn off the Snark or other clip-ons...they will eat through battery life if you don't....buy a spare in any case .....

iriegnome likes this.
  18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Sorry not familiar at all with VST??

19. pauljude

pauljude

Mar 6, 2014
    oswego ny
    Vintage 1980's Conn Strobo Tuner.............

Kukulkan61 and jmac like this.
  20. stevecaronna

stevecaronna Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    St Rose Louisiana
    I use the Peterson Strobe clip on. It works great for my 5 string. I love it.