What type of Bass does Dee Dee Ramone Play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kramerica, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Kramerica

Oct 13, 2005
    Hey folks I just joined this site and I have only been playing the bass for 5 months. I am in my 30 something’s and loved the Ramones all my life. I got a bug up my butt this summer and wanted to start playing the bass. Rather that learning "Mary had a little lamb" and "twinkle twinkle" I started with Blitzkrieg Bop and I Remember You. I am now up to Green Day and Foo Fighters. I am having fun with it and it is a great way to relax. I was wondering if any of you bass prodigies know any information about Dee Dee Ramones Bass. I thought it was a P-Bass but I have also seen pictures of him with it but I also noted it appeared to be a Jazz Bass. Does anyone have any insight on this?
  2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    From 1975-1986 he played Fender Prescisions, then started playing ESP Custom P-Basses, in various shapes/colors, etc.
    MobileHolmes likes this.
  3. REMBO

REMBO Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Buy a Fender Precision!!!
  4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Early on he used a Fender Musicmaster then switched to a Precision. Pretty sure the first album is all Musicmaster.
  5. Dee Dee also played a white Mosrite (high flyer type, 2-PU). You can see him with it in some of the South American tour footage. Blitzkrieg Bop is a great first song. If you can play that you can also play Louie Louie and Wild Thing BTW.
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  6. cruzerjd

Mar 1, 2009
    He played a short scale Fender of some sort when i saw him in 2001, pretty much right before he died. Some asshat in the audience pulled the input jack out while he was playing and he finished the show playing a Danelectro Hodad that someone had brought to have signed. Really cool guy, met him backstage and had a beer with his band (he wasn't drinking at the time, he had a bottled water) and shot the ****. One of the greats in my opinion.
  7. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Neo Maxie Zoom Dweebie Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
  8. Awesome zombie thread is awesome.
    On topic, I find it amazing that one could like the Ramones and not seen something indicating that Dee Dee often played a Precison.
    Lets all come back 10 years from NOW and reanimate, eh?
  9. nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    Black Kramer with P pickup in 81' , I thought it sounded great...
  10. Ramonesfan59

Jul 4, 2016
    I believe that's far more likely to be CJ than Dee Dee. IIRC, CJ had a signature Mosrite model for a while.