1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What was your biggest gear surprise?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marikk, Dec 24, 2016.

1. In the age of limitless online purchasing options available. Man people are buying without trying first. Running off reviews, hype, youtube videos or even just general curiosity. Im sure most of us have had some winners, some losers and some we stood there wondering.

What piece of gear (bass,amp,pedal etc) exceeded your expectations or took you by surprise?

For me its was a Gretsch G2220 i bought off a member here. I seen and it looked cool and i was looking for a shorty at the time. i looked at a few reviews and pulled the trigger. It arrived and had a really nice feeling neck, sounded great plugged in and unplugged. It now sits in a stand by my couch where i can brag it anytime im sitting down and noodle away. the ergonomics of it just fit nicely for me.

azfatboy likes this.
  2. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida

wraub and EdwardofHuncote like this.
  3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I was surprised how good my Thunderfunk 550 and 750 amps sounded.

I bought them (3 years apart) on the way to a gig and loved them immediately.

Stunningly good amps.

Marikk and godley69 like this.
  4. My Squier Mike Dirnt model '51 P RI. Great out of the box, with a setup and I did replace the bridge with a Hipshot Kickass (the only mod I've EVER made to one of my instruments) which functionally makes it a CV equivalent, it's awesome. Plays easy, sounds great, and less than $300 invested.

Thumper, grrg63, Marikk and 1 other person like this.
  5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Gibson BAEB5. Bought it on a whim. Not being a big fan of Gibson basses. Out of the box had it where it counts. With some typical mods it is my goto bass now. Light, versatile and comfortable. A lot of people seem to hate everything about it. I love it.

6. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Got turned on to La Bella tapewound strings, via TB.

Also snagged a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pup for a used Affinity P in Baltic blue. Coupled with the tapes, BOOOOOOOOOM.

Marikk likes this.
  7. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    A passive p bass with a pick..always been a modern active bass guy. Partly it has to do with the setting I am in it just works.... (disclosure my P is a 5 string PJ but I play 80% if the time on the P pick up only)

b-b-b-bass, grrg63 and Marikk like this.
  8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I was totally going to surprise myself with a nice 2×10 cab for Christmas, but I'm awful at keeping secrets :smug:

9. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    This. A 1994 Black label MIM pbass. It's the best feeling and playing P Bass I've ever owned. After adding some EMG gzr butler pups in it, it's the best sounding p bass I've owned before as well. I got it off eBay.

image.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    digmeout, Helix, Marikk and 3 others like this.
  10. godley69

godley69 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Louisiana

You Can't Beat The T'FUNK! I own Many other amps but 99%of the time............ I Gig the T'Funks.....‼☮

11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

A Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass.

The first professional quality bass I ever played was a Fender JB. I've owned a few MIA Fender JBs over the years. And I've probably played dozens more.

But this bass flat out amazes not just me, but a buddy of mine who is an absolute Jazz Bass fanatic, scholar, and collector as well as being an excellent bass player in his own right. And even he is amazed at how good it sounds and plays. And not just "good for what it is - or for the price." It's a really nice JB period.

12. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    That's funny. I was trying out a new amp in a shop and grabbed the Squire Mike Dirnt off the wall and immediately loved it. Bought the amp and Squire together that day. I've replaced the stock pickup with an Aguilar 4P Hot and it rocks. Not that there was much wrong with the original pup but I come from a active Bass background so I was used to more punch. I might even out a bridge cover on it just for fun.

Marikk likes this.
  13. godley69

godley69 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Louisiana
    My Latest Surprise(s) was/were my OVERWATER SDS and SDJ Bass acquisitions. I'm in Love with the 33" scale and 16.5" spacing on them both! Now, I find myself playing passages quicker and easier.....they are EXCELLENT Basses and the Customer Service is Fantastic! Both Chris May and Kirsty have been Phenomenal. IMHO, I'm happy to say that they join the same extraordinary ranks as Roger Baer, Mike Arnopol, Roger Sadowsky, Marc Vanderkley and Dave @ Thunderfunk as my Heroes. Not only because they make AWESOME equipment but because they actually interact directly with their customers and all seem to "Aim to Please" us crazy Bass Players! I'm (hopefully) GAS Free now......Hopefully!

R Baer and Marikk like this.
  14. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Just bought a slightly used Arctic white Fender Std Jazz. Its a fine instrument.

Marikk likes this.
  15. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    BoomBassCab Tank 1215. I can't belive the sound I get from such an easy to move cab.

Marikk likes this.
  16. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Phil Jones Bass Big Head

pacojas, Marikk and Seth Miller like this.
  17. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Sadowsky 5 string I just bought

Marikk and kittywithabanjo like this.
  18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    From me it's my used Carvin BX500 purchased from here on TB. Very clean, flexible tone and a great bang for the buck amp.

gustophersmob, Growlmonkee and Marikk like this.
  19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My biggest surprise came in 2002, when I bought a brand of bass I had never heard of. Bought it over the internet. And when I got it and played it, I was floored at how great it was.

This Hanewinckel Ceres 6-string

NathanEastSignature.

Liked it so much that when a fretless came available, I snapped that up, too. I eventually sold both because I was not cut out for 6-string, but last year I got my hands on a 5-string

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    Afc70 and Marikk like this.
  20. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Sounds goofy maybe, but my biggest surprise was a Boss BC-1X compresssor. Really changed in a postive way how I sit in the mix.

Growlmonkee and Marikk like this.