1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What we suspected - Velvet Strings is "closed"

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mark Gollihur, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I made this a new thread rather than posting in the dozens of various threads for Blues, Animas, Garbos, etc...

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion, as they've not made any strings in over 18 months, but I did finally get in touch with my longtime contact at Velvet Strings, and he confirmed in writing for me that Velvet is "Closed" (his word).

So if you were holding a slim hope that they might pull it together and start making strings again, I'm sorry to report that which seems to be the final nail in the coffin.

:-(

2. Thanks Mark.
    Are they still in the pickups market?

Regards,
    François

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    As to the rest of Schertler, I don't know. Velvet was sort of a "sub-company" that still ran somewhat independently within their organization, and that part, at least, has been shuttered.

4. jazzwalk

jazzwalk Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Mariposa, CA
    Shall we start a new thread entitled "Closest alternatives to Velvetstring qualities"...? So far for me, D'Addario Zyex retail cost, tension force, & timbre qualities seem nearest to the Velvetstring 'standard'; does anyone know of any brand/model that's closer to Velvetstring's watermark qualities...?

Recently I also had contact with someone close to ground zero with this; Carlo Gervasini, a sales manager with Schertler SA, who made it clear that, alas, VS is no more...:rollno:.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  5. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    What a loss! Great strings - great sounds. Thanks Velvet for many happy years with Animas!

Mark Gollihur and Ed Fuqua like this.
  6. Depending on what their price will be, the new Tempera strings Gerold Genssler and Jan-Ole Fabian are developing might be a hopefully affordable alternative as they will be the closest in sonic aesthetic to Velvet.

Mark Gollihur and Martin Spure like this.
  7. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    Too bad. I loved the Garbo set. Also mixed very well with guts

8. jazzwalk

Mar 10, 2006
    Mariposa, CA
    Thanksfor the heads-up about this, Sean; here's their web presence: About | Tempera Strings

Sean Riddle likes this.
  9. Once they’ve been out for a bit I think I’m gonna give them a try. I’m very happy with Spirocores and they will be my go to strings, but I used Animas for a year and they were my second favorite string. Genssler was originally involved with Velvet, but left and started his custom string business.

10. jazzwalk

Mar 10, 2006
    Mariposa, CA
    Good to know, thanks...would you happen to know btw, the lb or kg tension force stat's for the Spirocores (assuming weich here), comparing with the Animas (if not the Blues)..? It's a little more critical for this guy; 50+ years back, broke/shattered both wrists in a hang glider crash (yeah, another crazy 17 year old ;-). So besides having an older instrument originally designed/built for low tension gut strings, it's always nicer to have that greater ease of playing in thumb position.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  11. User @DoubleMIDI has created a tension chart that should be easy to find with a quick search.

12. Spirocore Orchestra Double Bass | Orchestral Strings | Products | Thomastik-Infeld Vienna
    Spirocore Solo Double Bass | Orchestral Strings | Products | Thomastik-Infeld Vienna

Here's the info from Thomastik's website. The weichs are going to feel more tense than any Velvets and have a different feel since the tension is not equal throughout the set. Spirocore solos tuned down a whole step might be a good fit tension wise, but the gauge will be very thin.

13. 16fuss

16fuss Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2005
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I loved the Garbos except for one thing...they kept breaking on me on the pegbox end. Once, a brand new G string snapped as I was tuning it to pitch after putting it on.