1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What wireless system?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eupharies, Jan 7, 2012.

1. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    Hello!

I am looking to buy a wireless system, having read some reviews, the line 6 X2 seems to be highly rated but, it seems to no longer be made... is there an equivalent by line 6?

Or of course if you recommend any other systems.. ive been looking at shure /sennhesier...

I can afford to spend around £300

Look forward to your replies!

Thanks Ant

2. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Line 6 Relay G50 (this is what has superseded the X2 series) is what I use. Easily the best wireless system I've ever used (I used to use high-end Nady UHF systems). I A/B'ed it with my George L's cables, and can't hear a difference. It's rugged (Both the transmitter and receiver are made of metal, not plastic), and lightweight with a small footprint for the receiver. And the transmitter runs on cheap AA batteries (I can usually get well over 8 hours of play time with a pair of Duracells).

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

3. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    ok cool, is there much difference between the G30 and G50?

4. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    G50. Got one recently and love it. I'm also making custom cases for these.

5. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

I have a sShure PGX wireless. It is their low end wireless system but it has served me well these past 2 years. Also look around on the TB forums I see various used systems pop up all the time.

6. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    ok cool, would there be different frequencies for the uk? like which would be banned if say i bought a wireless system from usa?

7. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Any major differences between the G30 and G50??

8. G30- 100 ft Line of site, made of plastic, small selector switch $300
    G50- 200 ft Line of site, Made of Metal, Rotary Cable simulator selector,$400

9. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    is it worth getting the g50?

10. Depends on you. They will both do the job well, the G50 is a little more rugged with a few more options, but the G30 is a nice little unit as well.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You're on the right track.
    Stick with digital as it much less interference.
    "Cable Tone" seems like a gimmick.
    I wish there wasn't "proprietary" transmission - I wish there were standards to stick to. A little cooperation between manufacturers.

I'm looking for wireless digital with digital out to skip one step of A to D.

12. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

These Line 6 Gxx wireless systems.. do people experience any low end loss with them? I had an AKG bug about 7-8 years ago that worked great for all mid-high end stuff, but my low end was just GONE. I'm assuming these aren't problems in these systems?

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes.

14. There is no difference in sound between a Line 6 wireless and
    a cable.

15. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    looks like a g50 it is then!!

Can i buy one from USA as its cheaper... or am i forced to buy one from the rip off UK, in regards to frequency laws etc??

16. With the G50 you also get a larger choice of channels, so i don't see why it would be a problem.

17. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    It's legal worldwide. Runs in the 2.4 GHz range, and is digital, with interference rejection circuitry. I've used mine in Europe, Canada, USA, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and never experienced as much as a hiccup.

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

18. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    You can buy in US, but be very carefoul; if you buy in US you will have to pay extra 15-20% import tax. (I know, this sucks)

19. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    I have had my Line 6 G50 for a few months now and it is superb! :smug:

As has already been said, there is no difference in sound quality between this and and a cable and no bottom end loss. I'm not sure regarding the cable simulator control, it seems to be just a variable treble cut but then again that is probably what varying lengths of guitar cable do. I tend to have mine on the first setting which is for a 5' cable which I find is closest to the 3 metre cable I used to use, or off altogether.

The build quality is really good, and am well pleased with the battery usage, especially in economy mode and on this setting I can do at least 3 gigs with it. I went for the G50 over the G30 because it is a lot more rugged. Some people don't like the cable arrangement on the G50 with the mini XLR but mine personally has been faultless.

After nearly buying a Sennheiser wireless system I am glad I waited and tried the G50 first, it blows other wireless systems away IMHO. :eek:

Go for it!!! :p

20. Discosteve86

Discosteve86

Jan 12, 2012
    Would you guys reccomend the Line 6 G50 over the pricier Senheiser? I'm looking for a nice wireless to last me on tour, not give me any problems, and of course not affect my tone. I have two friends that reccomend the Senheiser but they play guitar. I'd like to have something by next week. Any help? Thanks.