1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What would you do in my place?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkyMan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm really undecided actually, maybe other views will make me think.. The situation:

I Have 3 Basses: Ibanez SR500 Fretless, Warwick Streamer Jazzman and a Custom Luthier Bass.. My Amp: Eden Nemesis 4x10 combo

Luckily I have money to make 1 purchase from 2 options

-Fender Marcus Miller JazzBass 4 or..

-Markbass Little Mark 800 head with a Hartke Hydrive 4x10 Cab

The thing is that i'm not very happy with my amp, and there's a friend of mine who wants it, and I think I need a rig that would be a keeper, That MarkBass and Hartke combination would do it for me for sure.. But...

Every man should have a JazzBass, I want it for some time ago, and this particular model covers everything i need from a bass, but i've already 2 Pro basses so the need for a 3rd one isn't so urgent, But there's some things Jazz Basses can do that others can't, we all know that...

So seeing it from a mature and conscious perspective, what will suits you more if you were in my place? Thanks for reading and sorry for the crappy english!

2. I'd go with the amp - a good sounding amp (though IMO there's nothin g wrong with the Eden) will make anything sound at least good, and it's a bit more of a need rather than a want in your case.

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Oh, really? :D

(I say go with the bass.. And since it can cover anything, maybe you can sell all your other basses.. I think there's nothing wrong with Eden Amps, it's a good amp but since you don't like it why not sell it too, the sum of money can get you the amp you like too..)

4. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    You already answered your own question.

5. ckitz

ckitz

Jun 7, 2010
    Right Behind You
    It looks like you need to go with the amp. There are multiple reasons

1) You're not happy with your amp. You need a new one. You are eying a Jazz Bass. You want one. There is a difference.

2) Jazz Basses will be around as long a Fender stays in business, so you should put your needs in front of your wants and wait to get the bass.

3) Think of your friend.

6. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    +1
    Amps are simply too under-rated as a "purchase decision". They are 1/2 the "unit" and so much depends on them, that they should have 1/2 the weight in any buying effort.

7. Looking over your list of gear makes me think you are limiting your musical voice.

It all seems like you are in a modern-tone arena now and you yearn for a thumpy-er and more fundamental attack to add to your musical talent.

Personally I find the MB amps too bright, more along the lines for slap and extreme soloing - not what I play - but if it floats a musical style so be it.

If I've missed your subliminal frustration I am sorry but I feel that I can understand your chagrin over your current sounds and your gear I feel is holding you back from new goals.

Although I've never liked Hartke anything - that's just me and you might like it/them enough to keep.

I've never been able to really pound a Hartke without it getting sloppy - but truthfully, those few I played were used and therein might be the trouble: the new was all used up in them and they needed to be immolated. That's another strike against used gear, BTW.

I'd also say that a Jazz is a good transition to the vast mellow side of bass tones, with the Precision absolutely on the spot - but baby steps are always good in changes. That way one evolves into new musical styles without a quantum leap into areas that might be so different that one backs off again.

I like a solid thumpin' backbone and I don't see that ability in spades in your current gear although I have no real idea of the voice in your custom luthier's designed bass. But I'm old school and love the groove for the sake of the groove.

As sure as I am that the sun came up this morning, there'll be flames about my statements by Hartke fanbois and those who hate anything by Leo - but you asked for input.

8. Jerry Callo

Jerry Callo Banned

May 23, 2011
    If you want what a J bass does, the MM isn't it. It's its own animal.

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Amp.

10. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    I always, always, always tell anyone concerned with their tone to be concerned with their amp first. Mainly because it winds up being a more vital component to your end tone... just ask anyone extremely disgusted with their current amp or anyone super happy with their current amp. It will change your tone in tremendous ways. Secondly, they are more expensive and buying them can be a chore so if you can afford a good one, you should take the opportunity to do so and get that foundation to your sound that you need. Because if you have a mediocre amp but a great bass, it ain't happenin'

On the other hand, amps aren't as much fun to talk about or shop for or think about. You don't hold them as you play, they aren't good looking... they're just not as sexy and fun as new basses, which is why I spend almost all my time on this board and not Amps. Amps are more like a boring piece of technical equipment but they're SUPER necessary so make sure you're satisfied with yours before you proceed. Yes, there will always be a Jazz Bass for sale somewhere and, yes, they will always be cheaper than a new rig.

11. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    +1

Also your streamer jazzman should be versitile enough to cover all your tones. If you dont like your amp spend your money on that.

12. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    There is a big difference between Eden, and Eden Nemesis. JMO. Just as there is with Hartke Hydrive and Hartke. JMO. Get the rig. There are millions of jazz basses out there.

13. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Get the amp. The MM isn't a J bass. It's a '70s Jazz on steroids, though it is my personal favorite Jazz bass, aside from the one I own.

14. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    pfft, not everyone needs a jazz bass.
    i would personally get the amp.

15. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    I had a similar discussion the other day with a coworker of mine; we work at a music store. I was considering getting a few new items, such as a new bass (I need an upgrade from my first bass, an Ibanez GSR 200 Passive that I have been playing for about 7 or 8 years :eek: ), a new amp (my current amp is a Peavy VTX Classic Guitar Amp from the 1980s.. :rollno:). I was also considering getting the amp, and then investing into new pickups for my bass, but I do not want to invest in new pickups, when I intend on getting a new bass, that probably will not have the pup setup. Anyways.. My coworker suggested the amp first, which is what I most likely going to do. Think about, you have three basses, and one amp. You get a bass, you still have use the same amp.. You get a new amp, and you can use three basses on it. I'd assume there is much more versatility in that option then getting a new bass. Remember, necessity before need!

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    seems simple. buy the new amp and sell your old one for a J bass.

17. iPie

iPie

Dec 5, 2008
    Hampshire UK
    +1, you dont like your amp, therefore you should get a new one,

you love your basses so you shouldnt(or at least it should be lower on your agenda)

If you are going to sell your amp anyway, you'll probably be well on your way to affording that jazz! :)

18. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    amp

the "need" for a J bass is over-rated imho. Plenty of people (myself included) gig regularly and don't own one. If you dig it, great. But a crappy amp guarantees bad sound no matter what you plug into it.

19. iPie

iPie

Dec 5, 2008
    Hampshire UK
    +1

even though i do own a J :p

20. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    You convinced me..... S*&% i wanted that Jazz Bass.... hehe