1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would YOU do??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Willem, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    As my title might make clear, I know it's all up to me in the end. But I was wondering what you would do if you were me...:confused:

I'm looking to add a third and final pedal. The reason I only want three pedals is because I have a threeway splitter cable with my adapter AND because I do not have a lot of money and I do not have a lot of need for effects.:ninja:

I'm in a trash metalband (just started writing originals), with lots of heavy riffin, solo's, duals, not to much double bass, sometimes a clean verse, well... you know the deal.:bassist:
    I play mostly with a pick, but I'm working on fingerstyle and slap.

So my pedals are (or will be)
    compressor (looking for the right one) but will be always on.
    Xotic Bass BB Preamp used in moderation: during the duals, when I play alone, in some groovin' parts... and it takes care of all my od/dist/fuzz needs

Requierements for the pedal
    - goes well with clean and distortion
    - something I'll use often (more than once)
    - something I'll use with my band (not just on my own in my bedroom):bassist:
    - no tone suck;)
    - no tuner, volume pedal, synth, envelope filter, multiFX, looper or blender:rolleyes:

So what would you add if you could only add 1 pedal and tell me what you'd use it for?
    (I'm asking for YOUR opinion, not advice (wise guy talk) like 'get out and try everything', 'it's all up to you', 'Cliff used wha, get a wha', 'what works for me, might not work for you'...:bag: )

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you are on a budget, I'd look into the Hartke VXL pedal. Basically it is an outboard preamp with some tube emulation and a "tone shaping" feature that basically pulls the frequenices to a different part of the midrange. It is comparable to the Sansamp BDDI but about half the price.

Since you are playing metal, the "blend" and "bright" features could give you that extra edge of presence to cut through the high gain guitars.

Once you start getting into effects, it can be a long road. I use wah, distortion, chorus, flanger, bassballs, a sansamp, compressor, and a bass synth. I am hoping to pick up a delay pedal for my tapping or a ring modulator for screwed up tones. If I could choose only one, I'd choose the Sansamp BDDI.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its really up to you - you should go to a store and try everything out and buy what you think fits your situation best. In my opinion, you're really missing a wah pedal - lots of great metal bassists have used them, for example Cliff Burton. It could give you alot of musical flexibility - that's what I use. However, I acknowledge that what works for me might not work for you.

4. thats kinda hard for us to tell you what pedal to get if it has to be something you'll use, and something you can use in your band...I Don't know you, and i've never heard your band...how can I tell you what to get?
    get a flanger
    get a DOD 250 overdrive
    get a whammy pedal
    get a dunlop 105Q wah
    get a phaser
    get a delay pedal
    get a Boss Chorus

pick one from the list that is easiest on your eyes and wallet, and thats my suggestion...i won't tell you that you should try them out for yourself, because, let's face it...thats a waste of time...;)

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    I'd ditch the lot, and put the money towards a better bass or amp.

If you're not happy with the sound of your bass then address the problem don't hide it behind layers of mush. I want my sound up front and cutting through - no pedal is gonna get me there.

If you're totally happy with your straigh sound, and want to add some spice then look at a decent spec multi-fx - rackmount type. Less tone suck, less cables and greater flexability than a string of pedals. I can't say that ALL floor based multi-effects are rubbish, but most of the ones I've heard are aimed at the 15-20 year old market: all wizz and features, no tone (the perfect xmas presents to teenagers!).

Maybe you've been through all of this already, and a pedal is the right thing - but you did as what would _I_ do. The fact you don't know what you want to add suggests you just want another toy - I totally get that, but resit the temptation, and build a solid sound first.

Ian

6. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Let's rephrase...
    I like my bass and amp.
    I know you can't tell me what to get... I'm asking what you would get?
    So if you (not me) could only add ONE pedal to compressor + distortion would it be wha, chorus, flanger or phaser and why?

7. Wah. If you're in a metal band, you won't really need anything else unless you're going to solo. If it was me, it'd be between a wah and a delay.

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I find chorus more useful than flange or phase. My definition of Wha is "my bass sounds good, my bass sounds bad, my bass sounds good, my bass sounds bad, my bass sounds good, my bass sounds bad":D

9. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Why do you want/have to buy one more pedal?

10. If you don't have the compressor yet, get the Aphex Orange Crush (or whatever they call their compressor), then get the Bass Xciter. You don't need a wah, and for metal, you don't want chorus. Forget about the delay too. For metal, you need big tone and chrunchy distortion. All that other stuff will suck your tone.

11. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I don't, I'm looking for options, opinions. Keeping myself bussy...

12. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    As for compressors: Aphex Punch Factory or EBS MultiComp.
    For Rock/Metal I 'd suggest a tech21 BassdriverDI, maybe even the programmable one.....that's it!

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'd suggest you need to open your eyes and your ears.

14. I get a chorus pedal.

If you have a OD already, it could really fatten up your sound by making it seem like there are multiple bassists. :smug:

You can do it subtle to fatten up your tone, or turn it all the way up to let people know you've got a chorus pedal turned on.

:bassist:

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Chorus of Flanger.

16. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    With just 3 pedals... I'd probably go with these:

Weeping Demon Wah (got already)
    Tech 21 XXL Bass (coming soon, I hope)
    Digitech Bass Multichorus (Coming soon, I hope)

these + a good amp = :bassist:

p.s Ok, the fourth pedal could be a bass synth of somekind. :D

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Depending on what kind of sound you want, and what kind of player you are, I'd go for chorus or wah.

Go for the chorus if you want to thicken stuff up. Place a Boss CEB-3 before the BB Preamp to really get some punch from it. Seriously, the filter on the CEB is amazing!

As for the wah, that'd be a tougher choice IMO. As far as I'm concerned, I got lucky with the Dime CFH. Place it after the BB Preamp to get the most out of it (IMO/E). Depending on the wah, and if the BB gives lots of clean lows with it's dist, you can get a real growl out of it.

The other extreem would be my experiment with wah: Place really hi-gain dist/od before and after the wah. The wah then acts as an EQ filter so that the two dists/ods blend better. If both dists/ods have a bass control you don't need to worry about low end loss, even if the wah is one with a switch, and you leave it on all the time.

18. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Could you make some clips of dist + chorus?
    Would be nice!:)

Yeah I was thinking that too, but I don't know if I would use that often in band situation. First I'm gonna focus on getting a good compressor. I'm pretty sure that my sound will improve using one. The barber tone press did.

But that's not your bandfriendly board now, is it?:D

Before I get another effect I'll see what our songs will be like and if I need a wha or a chorus I'll get it than. I'll just use the thirth plug from my adapter plug for a €15 tuner I'll hook up to the tuner out from my amp. That means 2 cables from board to amp, but nothing some duckt tape can't overcome:p .
    And in the meantime I'm saving up for a rack, with sennheiser wireless, korg DTR 1000, a rack drawer and a nice tube head (or pre + power). Maybe some midi to control pedals + footswitch stuff from the amp. Don't you just love falling from gas into gas? :smug:

19. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Already have one (sorta :D) : http://www.ourmedia.org/node/193674

Hopfully, you can hear the slow/deep chorus I have going on when I hit the end of the riff and hold the last of the 3 long notes. Really gives it a swell/swirl type effect. Believe it or not if I recorded that w/o the chorus, the whole thing would've sounded rather "flat" :D

:D icon_twisted.

20. +1