1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Your Strap Length Says About You

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by grrg63, Dec 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. knuckle dragger

3 vote(s)
    0.7%
  2. low rider

56 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. middle man

218 vote(s)
    48.4%
  4. obeyer

130 vote(s)
    28.9%
  5. folkie

24 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. high tower

19 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Im a middle man.
    whatyourstraplengthsaysaboutyou.jpg

2. LOL! Nice! :)

When I started I was definitely the 'High Tower' guy (thanks to Mark King!) Now I'm 'Middle Man' - 'plays anything, with a smile'. Yup, that's me! :)

Roberto Nunez, tmw, Farrin D and 3 others like this.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Hmm... I always thought strap length was inversely proportional to shoe size? ;)

4. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    I try to have the strap adjusted so that the Guitar is in the same place whether I am standing or sitting. (Sorry, I can't claim to be a bass-player...All I play is a 12-string guitar, a six-string baritone, and various violin-family instruments...and all of 'em just by ear. I don't claim to be a real musician at all.) Cute post, though.

5. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Somewhere between low and middle. I just make noise in my bedroom.

thunderstation likes this.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Low rider here.

davy4575 and Jimmy4string like this.
  7. raluxs

raluxs

Jul 14, 2016
    bad right shoulder, playing in the middle..

smogg likes this.
  8. I'm confused. If I play slap for metal songs, what strap length do I need?

McFarlin likes this.
  9. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    image.jpeg
    Obeyer bordering on folkie?

Phalex, davy4575, squidtastic and 3 others like this.
  10. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I tie my strap around my waist like Steve Albini .

11. Was a low-rider for years, but old age and tendonitis have made it creep upwards over the last decade.

Kevin McKee, Mktrat, smogg and 2 others like this.
  12. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Always middle for me, for purely ergonomic reasons. I'm a strong believer in keeping both wrists as straight as possible. A low-slung bass makes this easy for the plucking hand but impossible for the fretting hand, and vice-versa for a bass worn too high. The sweet spot for me is right in the middle, with the headstock angled 20 degrees or so upward (and often outward, away from my body).

13. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I keep it where it is most comfortable to play. For me, different basses may require adjustment.

mrcbass, Gluvhand, tmw and 2 others like this.
  14. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Like @samson3382, I too am an "Obeyed bordering on folkie." It's comfy and allows me to access the whole neck without feeling like I'm resting my chin on my bass.

15. JaketheB

JaketheB

Dec 5, 2015
    Chris from Muse and Justin Chancellor look so cool playing The Low Rider. Wish I was as cool using The Obeyer, but that's where it's comfortable to play.

16. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Straps are for sissies, I hold up my bass with just my fretting hand.

17. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The rule for guitar players is you start with the guitar at your knees at 14 and hike it 1/2" a year until it chafes your nipples.

I use a Slinger hip strap. I graduated HS in '71 with a 32" waist. I now have ballooned to 33". As long as my hips stay where they are, my bass will remain at the same height.

18. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Defo Low Rider, I may even brush up against knuckle dragger now and then, but full up knuckle drag I don't find comfortable, nor anything above a medium hi Low Rider, if you follow...

But when I switched to bass from guitar, the straps all got cinched up at first, but now...every strap I own is set for it's longest length...

19. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

I think I'm a middle man (possibly bordering with low rider) but with guitar I keep it up probably at obeyer just because it's easier while I'm learning.

20. <------ Middle Man, always have been, always will be. The characterization provided in the OP is just about accurate.

Sixgunn likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021