1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats a good beginner cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jumpingbob, May 3, 2006.

1. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    I got a Behringer BX3000T head a little while back and I think its finally time I get a real cab. Im probably going to end up buying a used one from a music store, but I dont really know what brands/models to look for or trust. I hear 2x10 is a pretty good setup to start out with, so what are some good ones that will last and are relatively inexpensive (used that is)

Thanks!

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How inexpensive are we talking here?

3. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Couple hundred or so

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I got my Bergantino HT-210 for $350 (with cat and dog hair included) but with a bit of duck tape it looked like the $700+ cab that it was meant to be.

5. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Hey, check out the Legion Sound LS212 on ebay.
    Starting price is $135 + $40 shipping.

It is a lot of bass cabinet for $175.

Compared to my Avatar 1x15, the Avatar has a little more deep bass and Legion 2x12 has a little more throw.
    The LS212 SPL rating of 100dB seems accurate.
    4 ohms handles 600 watts RMS
    It uses two cast alum Madison 12’s with 3 inch voice coils.
    The ad says piezo but actually it has a real 4x4 horn tweeter.
    No tweeter level control, but its volume is fairly well balanced.
    Inputs are two ¼”.
    Size is 24 1/4 W x 25 5/8 H (25.25 w/o feet) x 16 1/16 D
    Weight is 61 lbs.
    Internal speaker enclosure volume 4.3 cu ft
    The cabinet is made very well – 5/8" 13 ply Birch - no particle board – it has seven internal braces - five front to rear braces and two side to side braces –speaker is mounted with 8 screws instead of T-nuts.

6. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    I really like my GK 210blx

it was like 180 bucks or so

7. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Carvin's Redline 2X10 is $219.00 direct.

8. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Hmm all these new ones look like good deals. Would I be better off getting one of these new or getting a better quality used one?

Edit: I couldnt find the Legion Sound LS212 anywhere on ebay.

9. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I'd go to one or more music stores, try out the gear that's in my price range, make notes about the ones I liked, go home, get online, do my research on the brands, reviews etc., get on forums ask questions like this, weigh my options, go back to the music store(s), try the 2 or 3 that I've narrowed it down to, make an informed choice, pay for the cab and take it home.

But that's just me

10. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY

Sounds like a pretty good idea, and I was planning on doing something like that. Reason I wanted to ask you all first is just to try and speed up the process by not trying EVERY cab there. Like maybe stay away from all ________, or ______'s are really good if you can find out......etc

Thanks though, Ill go play some this weekend

11. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Used is almost always a better option- as long as you have a decent used market near you. Check Craigslist and such.

12. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY

Wow I just found all of Legion Sound's stuff on ebay and they seem to have any sort of bass cab combo available for really cheap......is the quality decent on these or am I better off just sticking to a local used speaker?

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Avatar Delta 2 X 10 are $229.00 plus shipping. Based on all the love Avatar gets around here I'm guessing it's a sure bet.

Should work fine with your BXT3000.

14. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    By the way, if I get an 8ohm speaker cab, and ive done my math right, that would mean my amp is only outputting 150watts rms power. Will that be enough for most speakers or should I stick to 4ohm speakers only?

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I did the same for me Eden D210T many years ago. No duct tape required for my Eden.

Bring your head with you and try out the used cabinets, or look at the classifieds here and on ebay and craigslist. Peavey stuff is nice!

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That should be fine. My 210 is an 8 ohm cab and it's fine with my Peavey which is only sending out 105W at 8 ohm. In the future you can add another 8 ohm cabinet and in parallel they'll present a 4 ohm load to the head, and give you lots more wattage and volume. If you go with a 4 ohm cabinet now it will be somewhat louder than an 8 ohm cab, but you won't have the flexibility down the road to add another.

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Good beginner cab = something cheap and dirty found at a pawn shop, garage sale, swap meet, etc. A completely unknown name is icing on the cake.