1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's a Stick Weigh???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Milldawg, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Milldawg

Milldawg

Apr 4, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Hi Gang I am new here and this is my first post :bassist:

I was wondering if anybody here has one of those Steinberger or Hohner stick basses? I jammed on one years ago when weight was not an issue

These days my 11-12 pound basses can really get bothersome

2. The average weight of the Grand Stick (the 12 string one) is at 7.5 lbs, so you have no problem. Now if you mean this donashtap. one, then it's at 8 lbs.
    Oh, and welcome to the forum.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I think he means your basic old-school headless bass, not a touchboard...

Those are WAY light - 4 or 5 lbs. Never owned one, never will... but my back would thank me if I did!

4. You must be right about that, as I don't recall Hohner making any touchboard-type instrument now that I think of it...
    As for the weight of those, it's around 7.5 lbs.

5. I owned a Steinberger Synapse XS-1FPA for about a year but couldn't get on with the neck; far too fat for my taste. Didn't like the piezo bridge either.

It was suprisingly heavy for its size but the weight distribution was brilliant. The website (www.steinberger.com) says they weigh 7.6 lbs.

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I have one of the original Steinberger L-2 headless basses from 1982, and it's surprisingly heavy for something so compact. I have no idea what it actually weighs, but it's not conspicuously light like, say, a Parker Fly or a Rob Allen MB-2.

7. Milldawg

Milldawg

Apr 4, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Yeah, thanks for all the replies guys, I was thinking of the old-school headless bass....

I guess if I saw a used one in a store I might grab it up, but I don't really see myself buying one off FleaBay without having a chance to try it first.

Anybody have one that they swear by?

8. I think the older Steinberger - Spirits, with exceptions, are heavy for their size. These basses are all maple and while made in Korea, the wood looks to be eastern maple - a very hard wood.

What is consistently heavy is the Bridge/tuning. It is solid stock and unto itself must weight around 3 lbs.

All the weight on these bass in carried at the base where your back distributes the weight not your shoulder and the result of course is - absolutely no neck dive.

I've owned several Spirits and Hohners models... from my experience, they range from 7 to 8.5 lbs.

9. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    I currently own a Hohner Jack (second one) and had a Hohner B2AV. Not quite sure about the Jack (I can weigh it tonight if you'd like) but I'm pretty sure the B2AV was around 7 or 8 lbs. May actually be purchasing another one tonight. Definitely no where near as heavy as my Fender!!!!!

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    A stick is about the same as a henway :bag:

11. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I've had my Steinberger L-2 since 1982; it was my main bass for 7 or 8 years, and it's been my "main backup bass" (!) for studio work to this day. It's not always the right sound for every project, & I personally prefer the way a more traditional bass body fits against my torso, but the 'berger does so many things so perfectly right that I can't imagine ever selling it. In many ways it really is the perfect bass...so yeah, I'd say I swear by it.

I'd also be quick to point out that all those things it does right most likely have to do with the synergy of all the L-2's design innovations working together, and so I would most definitely not expect any headless "stick" bass to share those strengths. (And my limited experience with a couple of Hohner Jack basses & Yamaha BX-1's bears this out.)

I must confess, that was my first thought when I saw the thread subject line!

12. I got my Steinberger XL-2 about 2 years ago and the biggest problem I had with it was that my beer gut got in the way. It was almost impossible to play standing up because it tended to slide all over! That bass got me to do what my wife and doctor couldn't...lose 30 pounds!