What's all the "Hub Bub" about the GK 200w combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Apr 25, 2018.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    First of all, I gotta say that I absolutely LOVE my GK Fusion 550! So, I had some time to kill today so I wallked into a (? local) music store hoping to check out a single 1x15 cab; they didn't even have 1 in the whole entire store, so I plugged into a GK 115 200 watt combo :meh: I was NOT impressed At All. I tweaked and turned knobs like nobodys business, I tried any and every setting possible to try and get a decent tone but couldn't everything just sounded cold, stiff, lifeless and boxy (to my ears); the only thing that it was, was loud; and the thing is, I've heard plenty of guys rave about how great this 200w combo is, I don't get it. Is it that I'm just so used to my amp and cab(s)? or is it that some people just don't know what good tone actually sounds like? Sorry If I insulted anyone that owns this particular amp, but I was really expecting more from that amp when I plugged into it cause of all the great things I've heard about it from others. I sorta knew I wouldn't dig it anyway when the sales guy said it had the Neodymium speaker in there :vomit:, once again, Sorry, but those things have no Balls compared to regular ceramic speakers ... well, at least in my experience. O.K, Rant over, Go ahead, let me have it :woot: :spit: BTW, I tried it with 3 different Basses; an Ibanez SR ?, an ESP LTD (5 string) and I can't recall right now the 3rd Bass, but it had a P/J pickup config. It sounded best with the ESP though.

2. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    Sounds like only 2 8x10's and a 2000 watt head works for you.

3. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Nah, That's a bit much; What I have works for me, I'd just prefer 15's over the two 2x10's that I currently have. That's it.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Move to the Amps section for more responses.

HolmeBass and madjazzbass like this.
  5. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I can’t say you’ll like the GK Neo cabs, but using the 200-watt class D combo as a basis to evaluate Neo cabs just is not a good test. Do yourself a favor and try an RB head with the Neo cabs.

6. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeeeah, No Thanks, I've heard all I need to hear from the "Neo" cabs/amps, I'm good with my Fusion 550 head; the GK RB 1X15(s) should put me right where I wanna be tone wise; Thanks anyway.

7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Um, the woofer in the GK MB115 is ceramic...
    MB 115 Specs

8. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Right you are! :bag:

DrMole, madjazzbass and HaphAsSard like this.
  9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    MB combos and cabs are ultralight so it's natural to expect them to be neo, but the single-woofer models (old and new series alike), the MB410 and the series II MB210 are actually ceramic driver-ed and manage to save weight thanks to construction only mainly (1/2" ply, IIRC).

(It's actually quicker to list those that are neo: the MB212, both series, and the old -210. C'est tout.)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    DrMole and madjazzbass like this.
  10. Stevorebob

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    So OP, your dislike for GK Neos, maybe you give theme try. Though from what you say, I’d recommend the 410, 212 or 412. The 115 is might be too middy for you.

11. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Careful with that kind of statement.....I know one acquaintance who got banned for that exact statement, just a different topic

madjazzbass likes this.
  12. From GK's website. MB 115 Specs
    ?format=750w.jpg

?format=300w.png

Power
    200 WATTS

Dimensions

14.5 x 19 x 23"
    38 LBS

Speakers

CERAMIC
    1X15"

Horn
    YES

Proof that a 15 does not always sound like a 15, a ceramic does not always sound like a ceramic and a Neo does not always sound like a neo.

Or a MarkBass 15 the Ampeg b-15 and the Mesa Subway 15 should all sound the same because of the number 15.

madjazzbass, Kro, HolmeBass and 2 others like this.
  13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    I believe the technical term is "hubbub"... :)

14. rjake007

rjake007

Mar 9, 2018
    Baja, Oregon
    I have an MB 115 and really like it. Cuts through the live mix nicely. Has a cool contour switch that scoops the mids if needed. Pretty satisfied.

10cc and Bass Man Dan like this.
  15. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Agree with this. I find it sounds fine to me. It hasn't changed my perspective on the world, angels didn't fly from the heavens when I first played through it. But for $250 (used), a 38 pound, small combo with enough volume to keep up at a gig? For my 42 year old body, the sound is almost inconsequential. But the sound is good.

rjake007 likes this.
  16. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    madjazzbass and scuzzy like this.
  17. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Dude, you have a 550 into the RBH cabs. I've owned almost every GK cab and amp, you've got the best they make (IMO). The 200 1x15 combo is VERY boxy to my ears, I really like it for small stage monitoring.

madjazzbass likes this.
  18. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    I have an old 800RB i run into the neo 4x12. Sounds beautiful.

19. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, The guy that works there in the music store told me it was a neo speaker in there, I just assu ... FIGURED:woot: he knew what he was talking about ... You know, cause he WORKS there ... In the music store :laugh:

HaphAsSard likes this.
  20. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Thanks. I don't have the RBH cab(s) YET, but those are the ones that I want; currently I'm running two Avatar B210 cabs with my Fusion 550. Yeah, that is indeed a killer head, I have zero gripes about that amp.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021