What's my new Bass combo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brent Cain NZ, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Brent Cain NZ

Brent Cain NZ

Aug 8, 2020
    Hey fellow bass players. Greetings from NZ. I have been playing bass ( often badly ) for the best part of 40 years & am still active in a rock trio, acoustic duo & also do some busking. Currently I am using a Peavey Max 115 which fits all these roles, has a ton of volume but is maybe a bit limited tonally. I like to keep things very simple so there are no pedals in my lineup & I switch between fingers & pick depending on which lineup I am playing with. I am looking for a lighter combo of equal power & have narrowed it down to the Ashdown Studio 15 or the Rumble 500.
    I tried the Rumble 200, great tone but I felt it lacked the raw power of the Peavey. The Rumble 500 V3 has a fantastic reputation but I like the 15 inch option in the Ashdown. I would love to hear what some of my fellow bass players think of the Ashdown. Many thanks. Take care.

StevieMac likes this.
  2. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I've no experience with the Ashdown and I can't recall much chatter on Ashdown combos on TB - BUT, for me, there is nothing lighter, louder and more bang for the buck than the Rumbles! You just can't go wrong imho! ;)

swink, Jesuguru, JC Nelson and 4 others like this.
  3. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’d like to hear some feedback on the Ashdown too. There’s an Ashdown cabinet in my local classifieds I’m very curious about.

As for the Rumbles, I had a chance to demo the 200 and 500 side by side. I thought I would like the 200 better, but I walked away preferring the 500. Plenty of rich, warm bottom end, with just a little more punch and clarity. And the 500 has “raw power” in spades!

the big difference I notice is the 500 has the extension out, and the Ashdown doesn’t. Might be smart should the need arise, that would probably tip the scales for me. But the Ashdown is about 10 lbs lighter!

JRA and bhendrix like this.
  4. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    I am in the same boat, need to lighten my load. Been doing the cab/amp thing for a while. 12" cab for smaller stuff & 15" cab for a little more sound. I have been looking at a Traynor SB115. What I have read is they are a better deal & better sound than the rumble 200. But does not have a speaker out, but more watts. I have tested the rumble 200 & 500 side by side also, but just cant drink the rumble kool aide. The biggest thing for me is the rumble cloth speaker grill. I can see it getting tore or picked. The SB115 has a metal one. I play out 1-3 times per month, 1 small joint and a 'usually no drummer' outside gig. I just cant pull the trigger.

CallMeAl likes this.
  5. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I play with a loud guitarist and drummer and although the 500c holds it's own very well by itself, the extra volume and fullness added by an extension cab is a huge plus for flexibility!;)
    IMG_20200820_083102856.jpg

Unless you are loading in and out almost nightly, I wouldn't give that a second thought. And if you're moving it around that much, get a nice speaker cover. The cloth speaker grill is very substantial and I can't see it getting damaged unless some freak accident or self inflicted. Plus, I'm old school and love the old school vibe! :cool:
    And by the way, GO DAWGS! :D

6. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
  7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    staurosjohn and bhendrix like this.
  8. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    swink and staurosjohn like this.
  9. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
  10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Expensive however. Might as well move up to the GK Legacy 800/212 combo.

sonojono and bhendrix like this.
  11. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Did you notice the Hartke link is New Zealand?

jeff7bass likes this.
  12. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I do not know what your budget is...but IMO GK is producing some of the best combo's. They have a few product lines to choose from and many options within each line. Plenty of power, lightweight and sound great.

CallMeAl likes this.
  13. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I’ve been running 2 x 100 Rumble combos for a while. I wouldn’t say I was unhappy with my Rumbles- but I was curious to try something with a little more clarity, but still warm. Traynor came up more than a few times, but couldn’t find one anywhere to demo. GK MB was at the top of the list, I was *this* close to getting one. Ended up with a Markbass and I’ve been very happy with it so far. Still curious about Traynor though!

pappabass and staurosjohn like this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Sorry, but Fender Rumble 500 v3 will not give You 500w rms, maybe 350w.

jeff7bass likes this.
  15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

A club we often play has a Rumble 200 for backline and I have been very impressed with it, more so after learning how to EQ it for my bass and music. A very good buy, I think. I still prefer my MarkBass CMD 121P - it is smaller, louder and sounds better, but is a lot higher cost.

pappabass, staurosjohn and CallMeAl like this.
  16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I played at an open mic earlier this year where the bass amp the house band provided was a Rumble 500. I never used one before and had no real expectations other than it being a modestly priced amp so I assumed it probably had moderately nice sound.

I was quite surprised by how good it sounded. There was plenty of volume, I loved the tone, and it handled several different bass players playing different basses and different styles equally well. The tone and volume throughout the entire bar sounded really good.

Don't know about the Ashdown, but I'm quite impressed by the Rumble.

bhendrix and CallMeAl like this.
  17. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    yeah me too, no dealer here where I live though. Found a dealer in GA that carries them. Will have to buy by others opinions,,,

CallMeAl likes this.
  18. Nuage420

Nuage420 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2014
    USA
    I went from a Max 115 to a markbass 103 and couldn't be happier

Bassdirty and CallMeAl like this.
  19. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    OOOHHHHHH!!!!

bhendrix likes this.
  20. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That's correct - 350 at 8 ohms, but add an 8 ohm cab and then you're getting the full 500 watts - 250 to each cab!

Bassdirty and swink like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021