1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the Best rig you've played through?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joelns, Feb 13, 2021.

1. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    We've got a current post on the worst you've played through. What's the best you've played through?

For me, it's my latest purchase. A Mesa TT-800 with a pair of Subway cabs.

So what for you? Some random backline? Something a buddy had? What's the best sounding rig you've played through?

Bonsist, BigShotOrange, DTRN and 11 others like this.
  2. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    I used to play through an Acoustic 360 with an 8x10 Acoustic cab. Phenomenal tone... It was like listening to the voice of God.

3. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Fender Super Bassman 300 and Fender neo 610 Or Ampeg Heritage 50th Anniversary SVT and Heritage 810 AV Both are outstanding rigs

mattwear, Bonsist, mjm666 and 13 others like this.
  4. Shpigel

Shpigel

Sep 19, 2016
    My Mesa Subway rig (D800+,1x15 cab + 2x10 cab).

Bonsist, Geo Monty, bcouper and 8 others like this.
  5. Ed Byrnes

Ed Byrnes Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    V4B plus 2 SVT 212av.

mattwear, Bonsist, TC.65 and 10 others like this.
  6. Fender Bassman 100t and the Fender neo 410. It’s a great amp.

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I doubt there is such a thing as the best rig period.
    For me personally, two rigs stood out. One was a backline rig provided for the headliner of that evening.
    The classic, infamous SVT+Fridge. It was brand new, the Heritage line. The bass player of the headliner had his soundcheck done prior to my arrival. I came there and brought my bass and cable. I looked around for the bass amp (was not hard to spot ;) ) and this guy came towards me. He started telling me about gain and EQ settings while I was plugging in. I turned it on, hit two notes, looked at him and said 'nah, I'm good'. The amp was left with those exact settings. I was playing metal that night, as was the headliner. The sound was glorious. I especially liked how it was consistent all over the stage. The amp was sitting stage right and pointing towards stage left, like a sidefill. I fondly remember that gig.

The other is my own rig. It's two barefaced 12" cabinets and a poweramp of sorts (I mostly plug into the FX return of my Tonehammer or use a dedicated poweramp) The sound comes from my pedalboard, where the center piece is an old Sansamp pedal.
    This gets louder than is safe for your ears and punches through the mix, yet sounds pleasant when I play at home.

Bonsist, Martizmo, mjm666 and 13 others like this.
  8. SVT + fridge, every freaking time

9. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    SVT Classic and an Ampeg 410. Festival rig. Not a huge Ampeg guy, but it was something special.

Bonsist, Ric4003S and bobyoung53 like this.
  10. fourstr00

fourstr00

Mar 21, 2002
    Chicago Area
    One of my last club dates before lockdown, the backline was a full Trickfish rig, Bullhead .5 with matching 4x10. Glorious. Never tried one before and was impressed how every dialed in sound was good, and how simple the layout was.

A local brewery has a Mesa Carbine for house bands, which I could never fully enjoy backing a singer songwriter.

Honestly, my favorite rig is my current one. That’s why I bought it.

wes stephenson likes this.
  11. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Sansamp+ GK700rb2+ Ampeg 8x10.

Doug P, Bonsist, Geo Monty and 7 others like this.
  12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Audiokinesis TC112 stacked atop a TC115, crowned with a GK Legacy 800. Oh my!
    ...not that I ever objected to a fridge in the back line, or a Mesa 400, or a GK 800RB, or..., or...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  13. guitarflinger

guitarflinger Not all who wander are lost Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Front Range, Colorado
    Genz-Benz - Streamliner 900 and 2 410 Focus cabs - could only use outdoors, unless turned WAY down

Bonsist, TC.65, Phil Bonk and 3 others like this.
  14. npbassman

npbassman Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    My Mesa rig with a WD800 pushing the same subway 1x15 and 2x10 cabs, but I'm seriously considering getting a D800+ to add to the arsenal as well...

Geo Monty, pfern, murphy and 3 others like this.
  15. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    While I’m an SVT guy, it’s a great time to be a bass player. Regardless of your flavor of choice, there are some fantastic amps being produced today, or many around that are just a few years out of production and available

16. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    A Genz Benz 6.0 through a Genz Benz 212 Neo Cab.

Phil Bonk, ricca, pjbassist and 6 others like this.
  17. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I was on a gig with a country player (the Merle Haggard/Buck Owens kind, not the new stuff) at the auditorium of some Union hall. I'd guess capacity around 150. The backline included a Quilter Bass Block 800 plugged into an SVT 810. I think I kept the volume at about 3. Still a huge sound. Memorable, you bet.

18. bassface69

bassface69

Jan 12, 2020
    Canada
    It’s gotta be what I already own ... a Mesa D800+ over Bergantino 2 x REF 112.
    I tried a Traynor yba300 on top of a Traynor 810 ... that was glorious as well!

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

For small I prefer my B-15N fliptop over anything else.

For large I liked my dearly departed old Acoustic 360/361 stack best of all.

I guess I prefer that vintage sound. :laugh:

20. Alembic F1x, Stewart world 1.2, two Aguilar Gs 112s, two Aguilar SL 112s. Only used it a few times outdoors.

Bonsist, Geo Monty, Ampslut and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021