Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's the difference between a "Real" Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0scar, Apr 18, 2005.

1. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    and a Rockbass?

Other than using less expensive woods and MIM

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The RockBass line is made in China. And, yes, the main difference *is* the use of traditional tonewoods vs. more exotic woods. IMO, the reason to buy a Warwick in the first place is because of the sweet African hardwoods used (i.e. bubinga, wenge, ovangkol, afzelia.) Also, the RockBass line doesn't have the Warwick niceties like the Adjustable nut or easy access control cavity cover.

It's like Chevrolet vs. Cadillac. Both are General Motors (GM) marques, but while one is basic transportation and a good amount of car for reasonable coin, the other is a luxury model with lots of nice amenities and such.

3. ^what he said. it's like buying a squier by fender, an epiphone by gibson, or an ltd by esp.

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    and also that warick puts more time and effort into these basses and doesn't cover up flaws with thick coats of paint!

5. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    the rockbass just doesnt feel and sound the same, due to the materials

6. Actually, the Rockbass is not really Warwick's "Squier". The quality is still there, and the sound is simply different (whereas the Squier tends to have a similar sound but worse construction). Construction is not the same as the German made Warwicks, but it's very solid for the price and the bass sounds quite good. But it doesn't growl like a Warwick. That's mostly due to the tonewoods used. A Rockbass will sound more traditional with woods like alder and rosewood, while Warwicks tend to have a tight snappy sound due to the wenge and bubinga and whatnot.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm lazy so I'll just say +1 ;)

8. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    Like jenderfazz said, the Rockbasses are high quality instruments, unlike Fender's Squire line. Most of the hardware (except the 2 piece bridge), the electronics and pickups are the same as what's found on the German made models. Most of the current models ship with the Just-a-Nut II (unlike what Dincrest said).

I own 2 high-end Warwicks (Vampyre LTD and Thumb 4 Neck-Thru) as well as a Rockbass Fortress. While the 2 Warwicks do sound better, the Rockbass definitely doesn't sound, feel or play like an instrument 1/5th or 1/7th the price of its German siblings. The Fortress sits happily next to the Vampyre or the Thumb without having an inferiority complex.

I think the Rockbasses are excellent basses for the money. They definitely get you into the Warwick family for a modest sum.

If you want to get closer to the Warwick sound, I recommend you upgrade the strings immediately. I went from the stock Warwick Red Label strings to the Black Labels... What a difference!

I have tried all the Rockbass models except for the Corvette SE. I'd be glad to discuss the differences between the models if you decide to get one.

9. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    how do the two different vampyre basses compare (warwick and rockbass)?

10. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    RedVampyre,

I'm considering getting one of the rockbass corvette models in the near future. Is the sound in the same vein as the original warwick corvettes? I really like Dirk Lance's (ex-Incubus) tone and i think he plays a corvette. Would i get close with a rockbass version? What about upgrades? Since the bridge is a 'fender style', i assume that a badass II bridge would help a bit. Would the bass sound a lot better with upgrades?

11. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    RockBasses ship with a Just-a-Nut? I was not aware of that.

12. Without a doubt, the best Warwick I've ever played IMO was my old Streamer Rockbass. I prefered it to any Warwick I tried. There was something about it... I just hope when I buy a new one I get the same tone and quality as my old one..

13. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    To resume it briefly: you`ll probably won`t get his sound.

He mainly used a Streamer Stage II, has a massive rig to get "his" sound, and his technique is a key factor.

There are many threads about Dirk`s sound. Do a search and you`ll see what I mean.
    I`m trying to be helpful before you decide to spend lots of money on upgrades.

14. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    One is a Warwick. The other is not. A fake Rolex may look like a real one, but that is all.

15. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I think I remember the Rockbass series also lacking the 2 piece bridge that the German-made models have. That might not be too big a deal for some people, but I really miss the 2-piece bride on my old thumb bass.

16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    NCorder- you're right. The RockBass line all use barrel-saddle style 1-piece bridges. After having played many basses with that type of bridge, I'm nuts about the 2-piece bridge on my 'wick.

Meh, I'm still of the school of thought that it's more worth it to save some more money and comb the used market for a German Warwick. After all, many people fall in love with the tone, but fall out of love with the weight (my bubinga-bodied Corvette 4 is just as heavy, if not heavier than, my thick slab-bodied Samick 6-string) and often unload them.

But then you have to ask yourself, would you rather have a brand spankin' new Chevrolet or a preowned Cadillac?