1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the hardest song you play?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tituscrow, May 11, 2011.

1. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Which song requires the most effort, concentration, skill and intense eyeing of your fretwork?

Is there a song you play that you simply cannot do without watching your hands?
    Is there a song that usually ends up with the band starting again because its your fault?

Just curious....

2. Probably Havona. I'm learning the guitar part in Never Enough by Dream Theater. Sextuplets at 130 bpm is insanely hard.

I'd like to learn John Coltrane's solo on Giant Steps or maybe a Hadrien Feraud solo after that.

3. dieterdiettrich

dieterdiettrich

Dec 23, 2010
    Florida
    Same here. Havona is such a standard.

4. This is not quite what you're asking, but 500 channels by Choking Victim is the most difficult song I play. It's fast and repetitive so by the time I get to the end of the song one of my hands is in pain.

However, no one stops playing when I mess up... its a punk band, no one cares.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I can make anything look really hard. It's what I do best.

6. My cringe tune is cult of personality by living color. That's a hit or miss tune for me.

7. Nice!

8. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Probably Continuum by Jaco or YYZ by Rush. I've gotten to the point, however, that I can play both competently without looking at my hands.

9. anezthes

anezthes

Oct 18, 2010
    "The Lesson" by Victor Wooten @

Edit: My right hand percussion/slap isn't quite where it needs to be to pull that one off with ease.

10. Teen Town is a hard piece technically. However, songs like "Your Smiling Face" by James Taylor are really hard to get funky!

11. subject42

subject42

Jul 14, 2010
    For stuff that I play on my own, it's probably "School Daze" by Stanley Clarke. It's been months and I'm still working on that one.

For the band, it's likely STP's "Interstate Love Song".

(Not a master bassist, if you can't tell)

12. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Interesting stuff. I can finally play 'the pot' with my eyes closed and head back, start to finish....but 'rhythm stick' still needs more than the occasional glance fretwards!

And we gave up on 'la villa strangiato' because I just couldn't lock in for those few seconds when Geddy goes off on his own. And there's plenty more been binned for similar reasons.

And I'll tell you something else, you just try the intro to'TNT' with the "oi!"s on the 1 and 3, whilst playing the riff. Deceptively difficult.

13. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    It's been a while since I've had to play it, but Steve Norton's "Sphere Of Nuance" (humorously listed as "Fear Of Laurence" on the Autumn Uprising live CD version Autumn Uprising (Tautology 001/002) ) is an absolute knuckle- and brain-buster. Ridiculously wide multi-octave leaps, polyrythms galore, four+ part polyphony so there's no one else's part to reference against, plus it's serial, so unless you're really familiar with the row forms none of the pitches are what your ear would tell you are necessarily "right".

14. thebassbeast

thebassbeast

Oct 28, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    Dune tune by level 42 nothing can beat that basline, my teacher taught me it. Search it its pretty intense

15. Blitzkrieg Bop...

...just kidding!! :p

16. Punk player21

Punk player21

May 9, 2011
    Austin MN
    Hmm.. Hardest song I can play.... A day in the life of gorge cluneny by burning graceland.

17. And it's always my fault when the band stops playing.

18. The Mouse

The Mouse

Jun 2, 2009
    Ireland
    We play a lot of Motown, James Brown, Aretha, Tower of Power. Stuff like that. It's a workout. Lot's of fun tho'..

19. Jeff Beck's Hammerhead during the wild guitar pyrotechnics and Tal Wilkenfeld is playing counterpoint. I can hear it but can't get near it yet.

20. Our song... Lay in Hell. It's just tough to play and sing that one at the same time. A lot of finger movement while singing is generally tough.