Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's this swanky-looking Peavey?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
  2. utopia_imminent

utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    seen it quite often ard here. must be an old model

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Looks like an old school T40......i used to have a black one like that...

i don't see any string mutes on it though.....that's just the bridge

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The little rectangles in front of the saddles put me in mind of string mutes...maybe not. Oh well.

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    i really like the way the T40's sound, but they are heavy as all hell.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Yes, that's a Peavey T-40. My first bass, one of the heaviest singleneck basses ever made.

Wanna have a good laugh? (Joe Nerve, where are you?)

[​IMG]

That's me in 1987. I had like one year of playing. My left pinky didn't work and I used to wear the instrument much lower than now. Those black Labella strings looked cool to me and I bought a set. The black straps (suspensories?) were a trend for bands at the time.

My mother bought a brand new Peavey Mark IV head (also in the picture) with a 2x15 Black Widow equipped cab, which is still my main cab. The head was stolen from our rehearsal place many years later. It came with that Peavey sticker, which I decided to put in the middle of the pickups. Ah, so many memories. I think I'm going to cry :bawl: .

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    yep, the T-40 I had was my very first bass as well......kinda still wish I had it.

8. Awesome, awesome bass! Huge huge tone, wider than any P Bass I ever heard, just don't try slapping on it. I'd say it would be perfect for John Mayer's music.

Here's a jpeg when I was starting my photo fun.

Benner

9. Hey Alvaro Martín Gómez A. (or anyone else)

How do you get a picture to show up with the type instead of a small preview (with attachment)?

Thanks,

Benner

10. GoLow

GoLow

Jun 21, 2005
    Georgia
    I still have my T40 I bought in '82. I don't play it much, but I hate to get rid of it in case I ever need a good solid weapon! :)

11. My friend John D. Got one 2 years ago, absolutely pristine condition, for 70 bucks. I offer him 75 everytime I see him.

a real sleeper, but a damn good bass.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I host my pics in imageshack.us, which I like more than photobucket.com. When you upload a picture, you'll be given some codes for posting in forums. There's one for small thumbnails, other for full pictures (embeddable code, the one I use) and other for direct linking.

Hope this helps.

13. Here's an MP3 of the Peavey T-40. It's the first sound you hear,... pickups in "out of phase" mode playing chords. I tried to get an organ sound out of it.

Benner

14. Cool. I'll look into it. Thanks Alvaro.

Benner

15. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Me too. It got stolen out of my frat house in 1986, and I'm still hoping I'll find it in a pawn shop one of these days. It has a cigarette burn on the headstock from when I imitated Eddie Van Halen during a gig in high school by sticking the 'rette onto the end of a string -- but I bet lots of T-40s have similar cheeseball '80s era damage!

I still remember the awesome tone. A professional musician friend, who was attending Berklee, borrowed it for some recording, and said it sounded like nothing he'd ever heard. He loved the clarity and power.

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    the T40 was the first bass I played, but It wasn't the first bass that owned... I think that I'm going to look for one on eBay...

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    i think they'd be great for recording, but in a live situation the things are just too heavy to play for several hours strapped on you shoulder.

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    For what it's worth, John Mayer's bass player is _sick_. That is a very talented man.

19. IIRC the Peavey's came out just about the same time the Musicman's did. It was a heady time to be a bassist. Before that, we had Fender and Gibson and that was about all. Now we had the MM with it's new active sound (and pricetag!) and the Peavey on the other end of the price spectrum but nonetheless great sounding. A LOT of country players got ahold of the Peavey's. The necks on those basses were great! Slim and Jazzlike and I don't think there was a rosewood fretboard in the bunch.

20. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    T40 was my first bass. The ash and maple make excellent wood for smoking meat.