what's up w/ the hate on these forums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by triple, Sep 19, 2006.

1. triple

triple

Aug 18, 2006
    Are that many guys here obsessed with technicality, regarding playing? I found this forum trying to learn alittle about fieldy. There also seems to be dislike towards flea. I dont know, why, I read the replys, but people still miss the idea that music is about music not technique. I ve been playing guitar for 10 or so years and still find writing exponentially harder than learning and perfecting techniques. Even if these guys could jam like wooten, would it fit the style of the bands like korn or RHCP? i dont get it?
    Anyways Im new here, and relativly new to bass. Its alot more fun than I though, I was disappointed to "downgrade" to bass, lack of decient bass players, but am now happy to have switched.
    Anyways this mentality discourages me from contributing to the forums. I went though this stuff with RX-7 forums, mazdas. Haters, people flapping thier mouths about stuff they dont know. typical forum stuff. I hope musicians are more open minded and more polite than the "racers" and "mechanics", ie kids, that frequent the forums Im used to.

2. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Well, I completely agree with you on that one. Just know there are many members here, and a very big community of non haters too ;)

3. Aeolian-Terror

Aeolian-Terror

Sep 20, 2005
    1. Glad to see a fellow Bass player joining the ranks of the low end :bassist:

2. Yes I agree music is music and should be liked for the sake of it being music.
    a. Also Good technique and not scooping the be'jesus out of your mids and blasting your lows and highs full bore to sound like nothing but rim shots from a drummer a.k.a (fieldy)also appeals to many who spend the time to learn technique and sound good like (me and a lot of bassist on here)

3. It's the internet, even over on the disney boards you get kids arguing who is more likely to save christmas Mickey or Goofy. (get use to it)

But for the most part there are a lot of great and awsome personalities on this site and I am glad to be apart of it, even if sometimes we all don't see eye to eye.

anyhow yea All i really have to say and Flea is the main reason I started playing the bass.... Although I have matured and now Love the influences of others and think the peppers and flea need to retire I still give him the credit of turning me onto the bass.

Aaron D.

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    1. welcome to Talkbass.

2. i agree with your point about music is music.

3. people have different opinions. some like flea, some love flea, some hate flea. they are entitled to this opinion, and as much as we might disagree with them, we have no right to question their opinion. i personally don't mind flea, but i don't think he's THAT great. but thats MY opinion.

So, enjoy your stay here, pay a visit to the different forums and enjoy the ride.:)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

That's right - it's not "hate" as such - it's just opinions - that's what these boards are all about - opinions/likes/dislikes etc.

If everybody liked the same things. then the board would be pretty dull....;)

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Total BS.

People here have thier favorites, plain and simple. If you are in line with that, it will be all opinion, if not, it will be thinly vieled insults and bs opinion passed off as fact. See any thread on Feildy and any thread where someone says they are not into the Beatles.

OTOH, there are many people on TB who do not fit the internet norm, higher than average percentage actually.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey. A guitar player is right :meh:

haha. I see what you mean too. but, I agree with Bruce. This would be pretty boring if we all like the same stuff.

-Mark

8. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    And then there are those of us, who know who Flea is, but own none of his work, and really aren't too sure who this "Fieldy" guy is, and are sure we don't know any of his work....

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If all you see is hate, then that's apparently what you are looking for.

I come to these forums every day and the hater posts you refer to are few and far between and our mods are some of the more dedicated that I've seen. If you can't discount those threads as the noise they are, then you aren't going to do very well on the whole internet thing....

Welcome to Talkbass--focus on the helpful and ignore the rest.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Fieldy is just a running joke on this forum - I know nothing of his work - it's just funny the Trolls always seem to be big fans - so like there was a famous Troll caled "FieldyRulez" and it became a standing joke amongst the "regulars" after that!! :D

11. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i hadn't heard of fieldy until this thread was created. i just did a google search and found out he is the bassplayer for korn. now what?:eek:

12. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Music is music. There is something for everyone and most bands need a bass player. Korn needs a bass player. Some Neil Diamond cover band some where needs a bass player.
    Polka bands, metal bands, the band in the pit at the dinner theater, they all need a bass player and they are all represented here at TB. Let's get along folks and stop the hate.
    It stops now. Today!

13. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Don't really worry yourself on what others think of Korn or RHCP..flea, Fieldy etc. come on here to ask questions discuss bass gear etc and learn and grasp a ton of great info from some cool cats and great players on the board. I dont know of any site this good for bassists who are new and learning...i was and still am and this board helpd 110%

I would rather hear Flea and RHCP than a Victor Wooten solo album anyday...IMO bass isnt the best to solo with and bass solo albums can get real boring real quick...again IMO. But i think Wooten is a great player and admire his work in bands etc. We have everything from Jazz to Death metal bassists here and we dont always agree but we agree on one thing ..we love playing bass and this site is a great one...IMO:smug:

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    OTOH, he was specifically searching for info about Feildy IIRC, how is he not supposed to "see hate"?

Not to knock TB at all, I love this place and consider it one of the best forums on the net, but this does go on, even here.

15. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Welcome to the internet, where people who have opinions like to argue :)

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Well, you came here to search Fieldy, and then your first post is critical of the TB population. Yeah, you might be feeling a little "hate" right now. :rolleyes:

As others have said, I feel very little "hate" on these boards. Sure it exists, but you should expect that with almost 50,000 members. For the most part, though, people here are pretty nice.

18. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    No they don't, STOOPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    re: "hate" - just using the same term so we are all on the same page.

I can see how a new person would search for Feildy, read three pages and say screw this place. -- those threads are inevitable junk yards with the worst of Mr.Lundquist's regulars and the best attempts at trolling all rolled into one. The valid opinions are needles in the haystack of BS, insults and warnings. Then the thread gets closed. No fun at all for a new person interested in discussing the finer points of Feildy's unique technique.

20. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Isn't it funny how important first impressions are. I'm fairly new here too but I never saw any hate on the boards before I joined up. I must have been reading the LOVE threads. :) This place sure has gotten me laughing my *ss off on many ocaasions though. That's why I stay.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021