1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats with these videos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mconklin, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mconklin

mconklin

Sep 24, 2012
    I was cruising you tube, looking at gear reviews and what not. Came across some dudes who have so much gear, crazy expensive stuff. They plug in..and oh my lord the crap they play is some of the worst stuff I have ever heard..Id rather listen to dudes in guitar center.

Why buy all this expensive gear if you cant even play. I just don't get it.

2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Nothing wrong with buying what you can afford whether you can play or not.

I don't get why you'd want to prove to the whole world you can't play...

(With me, it's a carefully guarded secret... Maybe I can play - maybe not. But you can bet I won't be telling the whole world...)

3. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I can play excellently but I choose not to.

..but while we're on this subject, is Gearmanndude actually Jack Black?

4. mconklin

mconklin

Sep 24, 2012
    haha..thats a prime example right there. picks up crazy vintage guitar..then whammo..garbage...I have to edit it, hes actually better than most of the you tube videos out there.

5. Some youtube clips suck. What's your point?

6. The people posting them are so bad they don't know how bad they are. Even on playback.

7. mconklin

mconklin

Sep 24, 2012
    my point is how do you have a room with 20k in gear, 100's of videos and not realize that your playing is complete garbage.

8. Sounds like most of the people I auditioned for before most of us had recordings or other clips to post on the internet.

9. Money can't buy talent.

10. Too bad they didn't have Youtube videos. Could have saved you a lot of aggravation. :D

11. That's really their business. Not mine. Dang near every musician thinks they're amazing and their poo doesn't smell bad.

Why don't you post some clips of your playing and put your money where your mouth is?

12. Time, gas, etc. Had one audition in an unfamiliar part of town that kept getting worse the closer I got to the address. Kinda wish I had some rifles instead of basses.

13. mconklin

mconklin

Sep 24, 2012
    that would undermine my entire point, "whats with the videos". as far as posting my music its where is should be..on itunes.

14. mconklin

mconklin

Sep 24, 2012
    haha..Im not Jealous, I have nice gear.

Its like the people that blow that audition for american idol, my point is how do they not realize that they probably shouldn't be making videos.

15. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I have "too many" expensive basses and I cannot play worth a darn....so i believe it ,:)

16. mconklin

mconklin

Sep 24, 2012
    but do you film yourself and put it on you tube..thats the question haha.

17. You should request to get your money back.

18. Most of the bass videos I see on Youtube are pretty decent. Some are exceptional. My main gripe is that some have lousy sound quality. It's hard to get an idea of a bass's tone when there's a ton of hiss or distortion. I often don't bother with NAMM videos either because, even though the playing is fantastic, there is so much background noise.

19. mconklin

mconklin

Sep 24, 2012
    that is true. I wish there were better videos to check out gear..I have to drive a couple hours to audition any nice equipment so I have to do a lot of youtube reasearch..I guess thats why I come across so many bad videos. I have purchased a lot of equipment never actually having tried it out though and been pretty lucky so I guess I shouldnt complain about youtube...my current bass which should arrive shortly was a pretty big leap of faith, ordered a Wyn bass never having played one.

20. Sure, there may be some crap on there but I'm just glad people take the time to record and post videos that are helpful. Sifting through the poor quality stuff is a small price to pay.