1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's your opinion about my dad's musical work?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ger1, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ger1

ger1

Jun 13, 2012
    Budapest, Hungary
    My dad has been recording his stuff for ages, (amateur progressive rock) and in some time later he will most likely release an album. I'm the one managing the other things for him and the guys he plays with. Anyway, I would like to hear some opinions on the music, if you have the time of course, and you like progressive / instrumental / alternative type of rock as well, or you feel like sharing it. :hyper::help: :bag:

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/illyproject[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Thanks in advance :bag:

G :bassist:

2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    in the solo, I am definitely hearing strong shades of David Gilmour/Floyd. Very cool! Even if I didn't understand a word of the lyrics, I still found it interesting

3. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I agree with you and it is well done. I like it. :)

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    The musicians on this recording definitely have the skill and potential to create something unique and an art form unto themselves, which should be every serious musicians goal. And although it is very well done, this song doesn't aspire to that challenge as it is simply a well executed attempt at copying another musician's art.
    If your father had the skill to paint a piece of canvas art that closely resembled Picassos, would he not be questioned by most viewing it on his decision to copy a master rather than create an artpiece of his own? Music is no different. It is art.
    The recording certainly shows that the skill is there. But is there vision to create something that is his style and not David Gilmours? That is the question...that is the quest.

5. ger1

ger1

Jun 13, 2012
    Budapest, Hungary
    I showed my dad these posts and he's really glad some of you like it. :) As for Biggbass, he thinks you are partly right, and the point is taken, (and he thanks you for stating your honest opinion) but there are also other tracks you should check out before stating this out based on one song, 'cause there ain't only "gilmourish" playing in there, he thinks.

Thanks for the kind words and constructive criticism by the way and keep them coming! My dad loves reading these and it makes him happy! :)

6. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I thought it was good. The opening was Floyd like, but I wouldn't call it Gilmour imitation. What art is not influence by other art? As far as influences, he could do a lot worse than Gilmour.

If I heard this out live I'd think "darn good".

7. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    Sounds Great. Sounds like a band that is having fun and that a lot of people would have fun listening to , especially live. good job!

8. ger1

ger1

Jun 13, 2012
    Budapest, Hungary
    Thank you for the kind words! :)

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I liked it.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    + 1 I liked it and I'm getting at that age when I don't like much new stuff tell your dad nice job.

11. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Good stuff!

12. I like it, though I agree that that first track sounds derivative of _Wish You Were Here_-era David Gilmour. I found "√Ātmentem magam" less easy to pigeonhole, for instance.

Of course I can't understand the lyrics, but reading the shopping list sounds cool in Hungarian, so I'm fine with that part. :)

-NT

13. I agree with the general consensus here, all in all really good! I'd buy it when it becomes available. But I suspect you're looking for constructive criticism as well.

Probably nit picking here, but on the first song I felt the guitar solo delay in the beginning needed something. Maybe it just needed better timing with the rest of the track when it came in. It just felt off or overdone once the tempo of the song was established.

The second thing I noticed was the drums. Beautifully tracked. But in the lush soundscape that is the first four tracks I've heard so far, the drums are really dry and don't seem to be a part of that. I think they just need to be incorporated into the mix a little more. I don't mean turned down. Maybe just given a similar "space" in the mix as everything else. More noticeable in the first couple of tracks. Tracks four and five seem a lot more appropriate, even though the drum mix is the same. Just my initial thoughts from a first listen.

And for those who jumped to the Gilmour comparison, listen to more of it. Track five (and maybe six) is the Hungarian version of Alice in Chains complete with the AIC harmony stack! To reiterate- I really like the writing and overall sound of this. I wish I knew what he was singing. But I've always cued more on the music than the lyrics anyway. Thanks for sharing.

14. ger1

ger1

Jun 13, 2012
    Budapest, Hungary
    Hahaha! :) Thanks and keep them coming :) Btw if you want I can give you a kind of translation to the lyrics :)

15. I agree, but I thought it was a good contrast rather than an intrusion. To my ear the dry-sounding drums kind of anchor the sound of that first track, especially, and keep it from dissolving into a grooveless wash of sound.

-NT

16. ger1

ger1

Jun 13, 2012
    Budapest, Hungary
    Not all of the tracks are completed, there are some that are still being worked on, that may very well be the reason of the drums lacking something. Thanks for commenting! :)

17. ger1

ger1

Jun 13, 2012
    Budapest, Hungary
    My dad told me to write this down: