1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's your SR5's string height?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stflbn, Mar 18, 2008.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Just curious what kind of playable string heights at the highest fret people are managing to get out of their SR5's.

Maybe also state what your technique is like to go with the measurement. very light touch, aggressive attack, etc.

I've been forcing myself to adapt to a much lighter touch and I'm just curious what string setup heights others are managing to get out of their necks without "to much" of the expected Musicman bonus sounds. :)

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I really need something to measure it, I have it about as low as I dare go.

I'm also really interested to hear others' answers on this one.

3. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    For a few bucks, you should be able to get a 6" metal ruler from Radio Shack that has measurements in 32nds and 64ths.

While not specific to your bass, here's a great article that is very specific about string-heights: http://www.sadowsky.com/media/support/library/technical/bp0996_bass_setup.pdf

While only a lowly MIM Jazz, my measurements are:
    * Treble-side: 5/64
    * Bass-side: 7/64

That is with a "medium" touch (not super-light, not "thrashing"). My Ibanez SR496 is about 1/64" better on both the treble and bass side. On the Fender I get a little buzz if I "thrash" (which I only do unplugged).

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    OLP mm32:

Looks like fretted at 1st fret I'm getting:

About 3/32nd at 12th fret on B string
    Just under 1/16th at 12th fret on G string

Hoping to bring that down just a bit once I put the Power Slinky's on it... we'll see.