When A Practical Joke Crosses The Line

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Last night at band practice our singer/guitarist told me a story that kind of left my jaw hanging open.

On Easter Sunday, our singer/guitarist (we'll call him "Barry") and his girlfriend (we'll call her "Kayla") were getting ready to go out to dinner with their folks. While they're getting ready to go, "Kayla's" best friend's boyfriend stops over. The shoot the breeze for a while and then they all leave. When they get home, the door to the porch is open (I haven't been to their place, but I assume the porch is a balcony on the second floor) which has happened before- like it blew open or something. "Barry" hears some meowing in the bathroom, and one of thier cats is in the bathtub (the kind with glass sliding doors). "Barry" goes to pick the cat up and there's a towel laying in the bathtub, and picks up the towel. Underneath the towel is... the skeleton of a human baby with dirt and grass on it. "Barry" calls "Kayla" into the bathroom. She sees it and general histerics ensue. "Barry" grabs 'every phone in the house' and goes downstairs and outside and calls 911. "Barry" says it took 3 minutes for the police to arrive, and it was 'the longest 3 minutes of his life,' during that 3 minutes, they called "Kayla's" best friend and left a panicked message to call, they get a call back a moment later. The call went something like this:

"Barry:" "Hello?"
    Best Friend Chick: "Did you find something?"
    "Barry:" (hangs up)

The cops arrive and "Barry" tells them that they've just been taken by a practical joke- and is still really mad, and brings the cops upstairs. The cop looks at it, still thinks it's real, and "starts poking at it," and it looks real. Until he actually picks it up and there's a manufacturer stamp on the back.

It turns out the skeleton is a movie prop. No Spencers gag gift, but a realistic skeleton made specifically for being a movie prop.

While I could see it being funny if you were there to catch the reaction, and then laugh with a 'gotcha.' But I think to have them find it after being gone most of the day, to just cross 'that line' between 'the joke's on you' to 'that's not cool.'
  2. Yikes...damn dude, that's messed up...!!!

I'll stick to whoopie cushions, thanks...that crap is ridiculous, 'specially with my love of kiddos...
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That IS jacked up. I'll bet that baby skeleton cost some money. I'd destroy it.

Anyone know the going rate on baby skeletons?

brad cook
  4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Taken out of context, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Kind of a cruel practical joke though. I woulda been searching my house with a bat, or a gun, for the ****wad that put a dead baby in my tub.
  5. agreed that its not funny,

Now, how about a pirate in the bathtub?

6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok, how about a compromise - baby skeleton with eye-patch?

brad cook
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    that's pretty warped.

don't know what baby skeletons are going for these days. probably about the same pupppy skeletons, but i could be wrong.
  8. No Peg-Leg? No Deal!!

9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    that's creepy.

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Holy crap.

Good one, except for the cops thing.
  11. I'm going to do that to my friend.

WTB Realistic dead baby skeleton, PM me!
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Not funny. I don't understand why people like to play "jokes" on others by faking death. Since when is someone dying funny?

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's not necessarily funny, but can be quite peaceful. Death is nothing to fear. I mean, how silly is it to go around in life fearing the inevitable.

Anyway, WRT to the joke, I can't decide if it was over the line, but it at least approaches it asymptotically.
  14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Leave it to Munji to crack me up with a mathematical joke...

...reminds my of one of my dad's favorite lines:

"He's preforming an @$$ymptotic intercept, you know when you travel in ever decreasing circles at ever increasing speeds until you disappear up your own @$$hole!"

On the whole "dead baby" "joke", man, with friends like that, I'd start lookin' for enemies, might enjoy their company a bit more. :spit:
  15. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Well it's like this person I heard talking about what they were going to do to their friend on April's Fools day. They were going to have their girlfriend pretend they broke up with him, do a bunch of stupid childish things and then later in the day pretend that his other friend commited suicide. The tastless "fun" just kept coming. Not sure where some people today get their sense of humor...
  16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow: :rollno:
    I dont understand how they could've thought it was funny..
  17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    not that anyone really cares, but i feel like writing cuz i just finished my morning coffee.

I'm not much into practical jokes, but my friends and I often get goofy with phone messages and do silly weird things. an example would be calling a not so close friend of mine who i knew was on a date and leaving a well acted not over the top gay message on his machine... just in a regular voice saying something like, "Hey gary... just wanted to say I had a really great time last night and i can't wait till the next time we get together. i haven't been treated withh that much kindness and respect in a long long time. uhhh.... ok. hope to talk to you soon. (pause) bye."

Soooo anyway.. about a month ago I run into this other friend of a friend who's kind of a friend of mine too on the train and we talk for a while. He tells me all about his new job which is being a coordinator at a job placement center for handicapped people. He was telling me how he spends three days out of his week working with emotionally disturbed people washing trucks for verizon or some company like that. His job is to basically make sure the people are doing what they're supposed to, and not eating the soap. Before leaving we say we'll get taco bell together sometime soon or something. Cool.

That weekend I decide I'm going to actually call him cuz I can stand to be more sociable once in a while. I get his answering machine and while his message is playing I realize this guy is kind of a goofball - so I quickly decide to leave an angry message. I change my voice and go into a total rant saying that I'm one of the parent's of the guys he works with washing trucks. I start yelling that I didn't like the way he talked to my kid, start cursing him out... I go COMPLETELY OVER THE TOP THIS TIME, and just lose it on the phone and hang up. I get over my lughing fit cuz I can really entertain myself sometimes, and call back leaving a normal message, but break into the angry guy voice at the end of the message to insure that he knows the previous message was from me.

Well, he didn't catch on.

He called his supervisor.

He called his boss.

He freaked out for a couple of hours.

I felt terrible.

I'm laughing right now though so I guess it wasn't that terrible.

I know - it wasn't the greatest story - but I warned with the intro. :)
  18. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Taken out of context I think it would be hiliarious if your guitarist was a abid pro-life protestor. But when you get down to it, that's VERY disturbing and I'd watch that guy in the future.

Most likely I'd get him back by getting 250lb's of newspaper and putting it in his favorite rooms, then throwing cement on his front door.
    ...yup, talkbass has taught me much
  19. I would just like to point out that to do this to the friend I would like to do it too would be funny, because he makes lots of dead babie jokes, and I of course would be there to be like:

"Dude, I got you good you f-er!!!"

But doing that in the context to which it was done is not cool.

Joe, at the end of the message, you should've just started talking in your voice, and said something like "Yeah, so call me back sometime so we can go out to lunch" or something similar.
  20. Whats green and sits on the side of the road?.....