Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

when it comes to schooling for recording/master???

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rusmannx, Dec 12, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i've heard there is a pretty good school in arizona (either pheonix or mesa) and one out in New York somewhere that is supposed to be quite renouned, but i can't remember what it is called.

anyone know a good place to go?

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have two friends who graduated from the big one in Arizona. One works at a music store and one runs sound at a local community college.

3. Check into MTSU in Murfreesboro, TN and Belmont in Nashville.

But keep in mind there's at least two schools (pardon the pun) of thought on this. IMO, which one you give more credence depends on your expectations afterwards.

If, after graduating, you expect to be hired with pay then with rare exception you are in for much disappointment. Here's a few (admittedly debatable) realities as to why:

• A lot of music is free
    • Music that is not free is easily stolen
    • Free or stolen music does not pay for studios, engineers, etc.
    • Computerized recording makes recording available to the masses to the degree that now everyone is an "audio engineer" and/or "record producer"
    • For every one qualified intern seeking a position for pay there are five (just as qualified) who will work for nothing
    So if you want to eventually get paid, I would suggest contacting the person you would hope to eventually be paid by before going to school anywhere. Ask them what they are looking for. You might find out that they won't be looking at all. Or that they are looking----for a buyer. There's also a negative side.

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    do you happen to know what that school is called?

as for being payed.... ultimatly i don't want to work for anyone. i would be willing to work for a few years before i open my own studio, but the reason for the formal training is strickly for learning purposes. google can only teach you so much.

5. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Conservatory of Recording Arts and Science CRAS

As for John if you call. Nice guy, he'll tell you what you need to know.

6. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    thanks. i wish the site told a little about how long the term is, or what enrollment costs....

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Ok, ok, I'll bite. Lasts about as long as a school year, I was there from September to late April. I was there four years ago and it cost me about $12,500. Hopefully nobody gets pissy for me posting that info. Though I would imagine the cost has gone, every other school in the nation has increased tuition. Its a great program. Gives you all the skills you will need to get your foot into the door of a interesting and ultimately self determined industry.

Opening your own studio is a great goal, but if you think going this school, or any school for that matter is going to teach you what it takes, you are in for a suprise. Its the stuff that you don't learn at school that makes you a good enigeer, or at least one worthy of being paid good money. The Conservatory will lay down a solid, formal education in a highly technical and ever changing field, from there its up to you to make it happen.

If you go to CRAS the best advise I can give is to live at the campus (figuratively). Be there as much as you can and work on as many projects as you can.

Thats just my two sense. If you are curious you should give them a call, they are all nice folks.

8. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    this is what i expected from the school. thanks so much for your info. i have a friend (in my band actually) who is studying business law (i'm studying business management) and our goal is to eventually have a label/studio of our own.

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Right on! Good luck! :)